question about linksys wireless gateway (WAG354G)

daveshave 23:44 10 Oct 07

Hi.

I have this linksys gateway.

I have 3 computers and was hoping that I could just plug them into the gateway and they would be able to talk to each other in addition to getting internet access.

All get internet access fine but if I try and find other machines on the network on any one computer it finds nothing. Each machine gets a dynamically assigned IP address and the machines can ping each other but that is it.

I assumed I could just plug the machines straight in for LAN type functionality but is this a mistake?

daveshave 23:47 10 Oct 07

One machine ix XP pro, one is win 2k and one is a mac.

I don't think this is the problem though. Previously I have had 2 x win2k machines connnected and they can't talk to each other either

thanks

ambra4 03:47 11 Oct 07

First you need to set up a local network

Check here

click here

daveshave 13:19 11 Oct 07

thanks. I've already shared some folders on the xp machine (which is what that link seems to be talking about).

No joy. The win2K machine and the winXP machine just see nothing of each other when I delve down into the 'entire network' option in windows explorer. Each machine only lists itself (I'm not trying with the apple presently - just trying to get these 2 to see each other).

Under my computer -> computer name -> network ID I've given both machines the same workgroup name.

I used to have a hub and the computers could see each other then (but had to connect to internet independently via dialup). When I got broadband I thought the linksys wireless gateway would replace the hub and give me internet access.

daveshave 11:18 15 Oct 07

anyone?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced