Question about laptops

erkmatrix 14:25 05 Feb 05

Hi I wonder if anyone can help I'm thinking of buying a laptop for my girlfriend to use for the internet and wondered how much more will it cost for internet connection, I am on a desktop in my room on plusnet broadband and if she wants to use her laptop at the same time, just wanted to know will it cost more for another internet broadband connection or can you use the same connection somehow.

Cheers
Philip

FelixTCat 14:48 05 Feb 05

Presimably the two computers will be in the same room. I am alo assuming that your desktop has at least one free expansion slot.

If this is the case, it will cost about £20 to network the two computers. You will need a free network port on the desktop and enough network cable to reach the laptop. If you have a USB broadband connector then you may already have the free network port.

Connect the laptop to the desktop and run Internet Connection Sharing on the desktop.

If you already connect through an ADSL modem router, then you only need the cable.

There are other possible solutions, such as wireless networking, but they will be somewhat more expensive.

Please remember to use appropriate firewall / ani-virus protection.

palinka 19:41 05 Feb 05

lots of threads in this forum about this sort of thing. Try searching archive for "networking" or "broadband".

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:49 05 Feb 05

HOW TO SETUP AND SHARE A BROADBAND INTERNET CONNECTION
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…