Question about Dell Latitude C400 laptop

Totally-braindead 21:22 07 Dec 06

I wonder if anyone could confirm something for me.
A friend of mine has bought a Dell Latitude C400 laptop but it appears not to have a CD drive. From what I have managed to ascertain you can connect a external USB drive or could use a Dell Docking station or you can connect via the IDE module bay connector.
Bit at a loss here as theres a few drives for the C400 selling on Ebay which say they can fit in the front module of the laptop but the laptop doesn't appear to have any space for fitting a drive.
I could just get an external USB one but I'm not keen on that idea as in the case of a drastic failure it wouldn't allow you to boot from USB until Windows is loaded and of course if you're trying to load Windows in the first place you can't. Sort of a catch 22.
Anyone got one of these laptops or know of where I can get a reasonable price drive?
Thanks.

Technotiger 21:37 07 Dec 06

Hi, I can confirm that there is no built-in CD ROM, External CD ROM can be attached.

click here

Cheers

skidzy 21:59 07 Dec 06

Hi TB though i dont think this link will help much,it may be an idea.

Without knowing much about these lappys ( i have an xpi sitting here for refurb)im a little lost.

Have a look,it may help click here

Totally-braindead 00:28 08 Dec 06

Thanks both of you for that, I did find this click here sixth one down for C laptops and this on ebay click here but both appear to be for fitting internally and to be honest I cannot see how this is possible as there is no space available for it. The only bit of the laptop that has no ports covering it is the front part, but the entire front of the machine is taken up with the battery so theres no way it can fit there either. I download the service manual and couldn't find anything there either.
I think I'll see if I can price for one of the hubs they mention and see if I can find any more on using the IDE module bay connector as I believe its possible to connect external IDE devices to that but I'd presumably have to sort out some sort of 12 volt power supply to power it. Depending on the cost I may end up getting her a USB external drive as they are a lot cheaper.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

54david27 06:30 08 Dec 06

Hello, I have an Dell LS400 which has no internal CD Rom or floppy drive, but it has external drives which connect to connectors on the back of the note book. If I remember rightly the floppy connects to the parrellel port and the CD rom to I think an external Ide port with the cables supplied with the drives, the drives also take power from these ports.
Both of my drives look like internal drives. Hope this is of some help to you.

Totally-braindead 14:54 09 Dec 06

Thanks for that 54david27. I have now received a reply from ITC which says that although the drive is internal it is designed to fit in an external unit which they no longer have in stock. So I guess I'm stumped. Dell haven't replied yet but I expect if and when they do the price will be so high it would be as cheap to buy a new laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…