question about cd/dvd external drive

rosie12 10:49 07 Mar 06

Hi, I know this sounds a really stupid question so forgive me, but, when I am using my cd burner it slows down the computer quite considerably, when I am doing other tasks, therefore if I use an external burner instead, would it do the same thing? would it slow the computer down in the same way?....Thanks

helby2006 10:59 07 Mar 06

i would imagine so, not tested myself, but if you are burning music or home movies, i'd advise not using the pc while its burning anyway, if your burning data, it shouldnt take long to do t top speed, im sure you can spare 4-5 mins while its burning

De Marcus™ 11:01 07 Mar 06

An external burner would invariably produce the same slowdown.

What are your systems specs?

Which program are you using to complete the burn?

What other programs are running when you notice the slowdown?

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:24 07 Mar 06

click here enditall will help with your CD burning. It is a small prog that will close down all unecessary running processes. It is very safe and a reboot will restore the processes.

G

rosie12 14:19 07 Mar 06

Hi, Thanks for all your advice, however I am still having probs....I am ttrying to burn a DVD that is full of data and video, 4.3GB in size....I want about 5 copies for my family, I have copied it twice so I know that it can be done but when I try and do any more copies it keeps on and on telling me that the action has failed, it gets right to the end of the copying process then a window comes up saying it's not done, the dvds I am using are 4.7 GB, so there is enough room, but why do you think that it isn't working properly? I have tried using the program that Gandalf gave me...Thanks Gandalf:-) but that didn't help either I'm afraid, it just doesn't make sense why it will alow me to copy a couple of times OK then wont let me do it a third or forth time etc.. I have tried many times to do this.....Val

saintorsinner 14:52 07 Mar 06

hi - i had this problem on my old comp and found it was the screen saver coming on - try disabling your screen saver or moving your mouse slightly every 5 mins or so.

rosie12 18:23 07 Mar 06

HI, I HAVEN'T GOT A SCREENSAVER AND I MOVE MY MOUSE ABOUT ALL THE TIME BECAUSE I AM USUALLY WORKING ON MY COMP.I HAVE TRIED NOT WORKING ON ANYTHING WHILST IT IS COPYING, AND THAT DOESN'T WORK EITHER?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac