Question about BB speed

exdragon 14:41 07 Sep 07

Hi - I'm on BT's 'up to 8Mb' broadband and today received an upgraded router to use with BT Broadband Talk. Didn't have any speed problems prior to this.

I tried to access BT Help, and the resulting dialogue box said I had to download the updated version of Help and that it should take about 3 mins. When I start the download, I'm told it will take about 15 HOURS or more.

I did a speed test with BT's prog. and it shows 448kbps up and 7616kbps down. A second test with thinkbroadband shows 376 and 1884 respectively.

I tried the helpline and the only suggestion about the help file was to cancel the download and try later. Any suggestions about the speed problem?

Clapton is God 14:56 07 Sep 07

Using different speed testers can give wildly fluctuating results.

I suggest that you stick with one tester and test your speed at different times of the day for a few days to get an 'average'.

This is a well-respected tester click here

exdragon 15:29 07 Sep 07

Thanks, Clapton is God - tried it and got 365 and 1946!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…