Question about anti malware software

Amer 20:54 07 Sep 08

Hi

I have just spent two days getting rid of a reallly nasty infection/virus, got some excellent help fro asite recommended by this forum.

Just one question, why is it recommended that you boot up in safe mode when you run programmes like superantispyware. Can I not scan in normal mode?

Any advice appreciated

Amer Khalil

MAT ALAN 20:57 07 Sep 08

Safe Mode is a special way for Windows to load when there is a system-critical problem that interferes with the normal operation of Windows. The purpose of Safe Mode is to allow you to troubleshoot Windows and try to determine what is causing it to not function correctly. Once you have corrected the problem, then you can reboot and Windows will load normally.

skidzy 21:05 07 Sep 08

Hello again Amer

Reason being;

You will only load windows basic drivers and the bare minimum of programs and processes.
Basically some processes will not have started so this gives you something to work with as some of these will not allow changes while it is being used.

As with some of the problems you have had,you would not have been able to fix all the issues if the processes are running and the programs would have recreated the registry values upon next reboot.

If you are still looking for a realtime scanner,obvious choice is Superantispyware but Mbam offers this too.
Not used the Mbam realtime scanner myself but looks like it could worth the investment.click here

Going back to your problems you had.
No matter what anti this anti that.....if you give it permission to install this has access rights as you have opened the door.

Amer 21:36 07 Sep 08

Thanks for the info, that is most helpful.

What worries me is that my problems occurred with a 6 year old at the helm, so God knows where these malwares find there way in.

With regard to Mbam, is ther any harm in installing two or more such softwares on one machine? Would they complement each other or just cause clashes?

Amer

Amer 21:38 07 Sep 08

Thanks for your explanation, still on a steep learning curve and these little bits of info make it just that bit easier.

Amer

skidzy 21:46 07 Sep 08

Just one antivirus / one Firewall / one realtime scanner but you can have plenty of other antispyware/antimalware programs,but normally 2/3 is enough if they are the recommended ones.

Firewall (one of)
Antivirus (one of)
Realtime scanner such as Superantispyware/Spyware Terminator / Mbam RT scanner (one of)

Then add
Spybot Search and Destroy
Superantispyware and Mbam but only use one of the RTS
Spywareblaster to stop spyware installing in the first place...needs manual updating regularly

These should be enough to protect you,but i cannot stress enough to backup at least once a month,more often if needed.

Using something like Acronis True Image may save you on more than one occassion.

Amer 09:06 08 Sep 08

Will do the necessary

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…