Question about 64bit CPU's

Pizzle 13:57 19 Feb 06

Hello,
I recently upgraded my PC to a AMD Athlon 64 3200+..
Just wondering what the main differences are performance wise between 32bit and 64bit CPU's?
I think its strange how the clock speed is only 2.2GHz..

My reason for asking is mainly because the new Morrowind: Oblivion has been announced as requiring a 3.0Ghz CPU.. And i was wondering if my Athlon 64 3200+ would be able to take it? Obviously i realise the rest of my system would effect it.. but im looking to learn about 64bit chips :)

Thank You!

SG Atlantis® 14:13 19 Feb 06

yep, your 3200 can be compared to a 3.2GHz pentium.

64bit cpus do more work per cycle than the 32bit version and of course it can run 64bit software.

DrScott 15:04 19 Feb 06

Yep you'll be more than fine!

Most games often given the minimum specs as a P4 and don't mention anything to do with AMD. However, for gaming (because of fewer and shorter pipes I think), AMD CPUs will outperform equivalent P4s. The 64 bit architecture seems to make them run a bit faster too.

If you want more information on CPUs, there's a good review of various CPUs here (yours will most likely be the Socket 939 Athlon 64) click here

Pizzle 15:47 19 Feb 06

Yep mines a socket 939. Good to hear i spent my money well then! Now, wether to bother getting XP 64bit now..

Pizz

SG Atlantis® 15:49 19 Feb 06

not worth while. You'll have driver issues and such.

Pizzle 15:51 19 Feb 06

Hmmm, why have they released it then? Haha.. Why did they release Windows ME?
I would have thought 64bit Windows XP would have been an improvement though?

Pizz

007al 16:03 19 Feb 06

The reason an AMD outperforms Intel in games is the chips have built in memory controllers.This does away with having to use a northbridge controller to work the ram,cutting down on the time it takes for the cpu to talk to the RAM.
Newer SLi motherboards have gone back to using a northbridge,this is different to the older ones,as its used for the PCI-e slots,to use full use of 2 lanes x16 when used in SLi,instead of the original cut down x8 slots(am i making sense?)
AMD`s numbering is to give a guide to Intel speeds,so your 3200 is equivelent to 3.2Ghz.
Windows 64 is not supported enough with drivers and software to be worth getting now.Wait for Vista for that

Pizzle 16:13 19 Feb 06

Arh i see.. well i bought a new motherboard too, and it has a northbridge.. What difference does that make exactly? Is it better or worse?

Pizz

SG Atlantis® 16:31 19 Feb 06

none. which motherboard did you buy?

What's the overall specification of your computer?

007al 18:47 19 Feb 06

Is it a Via chipset motherboard?
If its nVidia motherboard,the northbridge has the onboard graphics chip,same for ATI

007al 18:58 19 Feb 06

Also,by using onchip memory controller,AMD can still use DDR memory,whereas Intel use DDR2 to speed things up with the northbridge.
The new AMD AM2 cpu,when released,will use DDR2 RAM,which should make for a very fast pc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos