Query on using XP servicepack 2

Al94 13:31 12 Aug 04

A friend of my wife has a PC which is giving endless problems, she wants me to do a full restore which will take it back to a pre Servicepack 1 version of XP. Question - will installing SP2 from CD alone bring it right up to date without installing SP1 first?

scooby43 14:02 12 Aug 04

I dont think it would matter thinking that sp2 must have all the updates from sp1 and has been added with newer updates.

Djohn 16:20 12 Aug 04

Not sure about that scooby43. I think I read that you will need SP1 or SP1a before installing SP2 but needs to be confirmed as I can't find the thread now! :o(

techpro 16:24 12 Aug 04

Windows Update should be intelligent enough to work out what you need, when you install SP2. It will probably be a bigger download if you've rolled back some of the older updates, but you shouldn't have to install them explicitly.

Al94 16:31 12 Aug 04

I have the full SP2 on disc, she only has dial up, hence my query.

sjbell 17:53 12 Aug 04

See this link click here;EN-US;811113 Quote from summary: 'Windows XP SP2 contains all the fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1)'

sjbell 17:55 12 Aug 04

Sorry! For some reason the link won't work - search for Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 811113 (List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2)

oseven 19:56 12 Aug 04

If you are on broadband why don't you download it and put it on a disc then load it on your friends machine?

scooby43 20:26 12 Aug 04

Sorry if I am wrong when I had windows 2000 I jus installed sp4 straight off from sp2

Al94 21:11 12 Aug 04

Thanks sjbell, that was the definitive answer I was looking for. Quote from the Microsoft Knowledge Base

This article lists the problems that are fixed in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). Service packs are cumulative. This means that the problems that are fixed in a service pack are also fixed in later service packs. For example, Windows XP SP2 contains all the fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). You do not have to install an earlier service pack before you install Windows XP SP2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…