Query re wireless networking on laptop Dell 6000

iggy33 13:43 28 Apr 06

I am trying to connect my laptop and my desktop to a wireless network. this is the idea anyway. But so far I have a router, and an Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop.
Do I need to add anything to the laptop as it recongnised the network, but was limited connectivity.
Any answers will be gratefully recieved.

mgmcc 14:32 28 Apr 06

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

At the moment, your wireless adapter has failed to get its IP address from the router and Windows has allocated a default 169.254.x.x address. This will give you the "Limited or No Connectivity" indication and you will be unable to access the network/internet.

There is a difference between the adapter and router finding each other and "Connecting" (as in logging in) to the Wireless Network.

iggy33 14:45 28 Apr 06

I have selected the dell router, but it said it was a secure n/w, and wanted a wap/wep number, 12 numbers long.
I have removed the wireless router from my desktop and I am going to start from the beginning again.
Do you know anything about NTL connecting broadband from the actual wall were the cable comes in?

mgmcc 15:01 28 Apr 06

<<< Do you know anything about NTL connecting broadband from the actual wall were the cable comes in? >>>

The cable must terminate in either a TV Set-top box or a stand-alone Cable Modem. In either case, there should be an ethernet port to which you connect the router's WAN (Wide Area Network or "Internet") port with a standard network cable.

Your desktop PC then connects with a second ethernet cable to one of the router's LAN ports. This is independent of the "wireless" connection you are trying to set up with the laptop and there should be no need to disconnect the desktop PC to get the laptop to connect. If you are prompted for a WEP or WPA key to connect, there must have been a default one set up which should be given somewhere - in the manual or marked on the bottom of the router?

iggy33 15:08 28 Apr 06

the cable comes out of the wall, and goes into a cable splitter.

mgmcc 16:45 28 Apr 06

NTL have to provide you with the Cable Modem for your computer (or router) connection, you cannot just connect your own hardware directly on to the coaxial cable. Have you already had a broadband connection working with NTL's Cable broadband service?

iggy33 11:19 02 May 06

Yes I have had a broadband connection for years.

mgmcc 11:39 02 May 06

<<< Yes I have had a broadband connection for years >>>

...so what did the computer actually plug into - a USB port, an Ethernet port?

Getting any information really is hard work!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…