Query re uninstalling W98 and reinstalling XP Pro

Melissa Healy 21:17 08 Sep 04

I have recently bought a refurbished computer that has come with Windows 98 on it. I have the serial number for W98 but no operating disk incase of emergencies.

I have bought XP Professional but it has come without the certificate of authenticity and an having trouble getting the number of the certificate from the person I purchased it from.

Just wondered if I cant get round the lack of certificate number etc, how would I go about reinstalling W98 without the disk, can I create one onto a floppy disk before I format the hard drive?

Many thanks.

rawprawn 22:14 08 Sep 04

Sorry, your XP Pro sounds a bit dodgy if it didn't come with a certificated number. No you can't create an operating system on floppies. If I were you I would get my money back on the XP

Simon_P 22:19 08 Sep 04

Is far as I know I think you probably cant do anything without

1 Win 98 disk

or

XP cd key

If the XP CD is second hand and is already installed and activated on another PC the key won't work anyway.

The XP you have got sounds a bit dodgy, I would ask for my money back.

Never part with your money without a genuine cd and cd key "certificate of authenticity"

THE TERMINATOR 22:31 08 Sep 04

You may be lucky enough to have the windows 98 setup & installation software on your HDD, in a folder called "win98" or similar. If you have a cd burner you can burn these files to a disk, but as with your XP disk, you can only install it if you have the key code for setup to install it. I would take the advice of Simon7063 & rawprawn, and take the disk back to where you got it and ask for the activation key. If it is second hand then demand your money back and get an original copy from somewhere like pc world....TT

Molded 23:03 08 Sep 04

????

XP Pro doesn't have to activated!

Molded 23:04 08 Sep 04

..Or "be" activated even :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…