Query re. Skype

heavymetalkid 20:17 21 May 05

I watched a television programme this week about Skype and it sounds inviting. Anyone out there using it? Any pros or cons? Also, I'm still on dial-up,does that mean I can't use it?

2neat 20:52 21 May 05

click here VOIP is the future. Will take off when mobile handsets plugged into dsl without computer being on. You will be able to use skype but at a lower sound quaility. Download it and give it a try. All you need is someone you know to talk to!

heavymetalkid 23:14 21 May 05

Thanks pal I'll download tonight. All I need now is someone to talk to!

Angry Kid 10:17 22 May 05

Morning, you will not regret it! If you wish to add voicemail to your newly installed Skype then go to click here and try the basic version. I have upgraded and think its great. The free version is also excellent. Upgrade only costs around 6 Euros which can be bought through Pay Pal and downloaded from the site.

Just a further thought. If you talk to someone on BB and you are on dial up it will take around 30 seconds for the connection to settle down. After that it is fine. Good Luck :))

Stuartli 11:06 22 May 05

My son and I use Skype and it's virtually like being in the same room - I have a headset and he uses a mike.

The sound quality is excellent - at least in our case and I presume it will be the same for most people.

If you go to the Tradex website (click here) or can visit one of their outlets, it is selling a headset/mike boom with connection switch box for £9.99:

click here

douglas1973 11:18 22 May 05

I use Skype (calls to other Skype users) and SkypeOut (calls to ordinary phones), mainly for international calls, and it is very good. Calls to Skype users are free and calls to ordinary tetephones are incredibly cheap. Personally if you only intend making calls to the UK I don't think it is worth using.
I recently bought a cordless Olympia VOIP/DECT Dualphone ("for Internet telephony via Skype and ordinary telephony via DECT")but found that when I connected it all my ordinary phones went dead but that might be because I haven't set it up correctly. I have not tried again since I had unrelated problems with my computer and will try again soon.

heavymetalkid 00:34 23 May 05

What a great forum this is...never lets you down.Downloadind Skype tonight and Angry Kid has offered to test it with me,if I succeed.
Cheers all.
Andy

heavymetalkid 00:34 23 May 05

What a great forum this is...never lets you down.Downloadind Skype tonight and Angry Kid has offered to test it with me,if I succeed.
Cheers all.
Andy

AubreyS 07:38 23 May 05

Not actually to do with Skype but interesting anyway. click here I use Skype and find the sound quality is excellent.

AubreyS 07:42 23 May 05

Saying that its not to do with Skype, there is a link that takes you to Skype. click here Also the part where is talks about naked DSL is quite interesting too.

Yokel 13:33 23 May 05

Take care with UK non-geographic codes, see 0870 in the Skype price list should you think of calling such a number.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…