query with broadband modem to telephone socket

pookie 11:18 17 Mar 05

Hi

Windows xp home sp2, 3 Ghz barton, asus a7n8x-x mobo, 1 Gb ddr, 550 watt psu, x800 pro graphics and 56k modem – dial up.

I’ve ordered tiscali broadband 1Mb (2Gb cap per month). It comes with modem, cable from modem to pc, driver disk, cable from modem to telephone socket and 2 filters.

My pc is in a different room to telephone socket and for internet/dial up I use a normal 5 meter telephone extension cable.

With the broadband package when it arrives would it make any difference plugging the modem to telephone socket cable into the extension telephone cable (same ends). Also, the existing extension lead I use – the end that plugs into the telephone socket in wall – the end has a double connector 1 for extension lead and 1 for actual telephone. Does that make any difference?

Cheers

P

Yoda Knight 11:33 17 Mar 05

If your cables are in perfect working order, then the line noise should be minimal, and you wont have a problem

TBH1 12:36 17 Mar 05

For what its worth, I had problems using the extension cable I used with dial-up; though many people said it should have been OK.

The only way I got BB working was to connect the modem directly to the filter on the phone socket.

I have now gone 'wireless' so no wires across the carpet anymore - - -'er indoors moaned when I put the original phone extension cable under the floor so was not gonna 'risk' putting the BB cable under there.

huzzar 12:51 17 Mar 05

You should never connect your BB modem to the telephone socket using a telephone extension lead, it won't work as it should, if at all. You can extend your line which comes from the modem to the phone socket via the filter using a longer line. I use a 3 metre cable and it works very well. Get one from:

click here

i have an extension cable already on mine and it is working fine..but i decided to move my computer, and as such was further away and my extension and wouldnt reach so as a an alternative i left the modem where it was and got a 10 meter usb extension cable..works fine with no probs

pookie 13:07 17 Mar 05

many thanks guys

@[email protected]!c - 'i have an extension cable already on mine and it is working fine' - was this a telephone extension or 'You can extend your line which comes from the modem to the phone socket via the filter using a longer line' cable as huzzar mentions?

many thanks

P

pj123 13:20 17 Mar 05

Although I agree with all the above responses I have a problem with:

"I’ve ordered tiscali broadband 1Mb (2Gb cap per month). It comes with modem, cable from modem to pc, driver disk, cable from modem to telephone socket and 2 filters."

According to this site click here there is no monthly usage restriction on any of their BB deals. Where did you get the 2gb cap info from?

Graham ® 13:25 17 Mar 05

Broadband will work fine on an extension, whether it is hard-wired (cabled to a fixed socket) or a loose lead across the floor.

For your set-up, simply unplug the telephone from the double adaptor and replace with a filter. Plug the telephone into the filter.

At the PC end, plug in a filter and connect the modem lead to the ADSL socket of the filter.

A common mistake is to connect the extension to the phone socket on the first filter. This will not work!

josie mayhem 13:28 17 Mar 05

I run my adls/router off a far longer extension lead than that.

You should be able to use the same set-up, but remember you need to fit the second splitter box here and use the rj-11 socket on the slpitter box to connect it.

I haven't found that it has effected my broadband connection or quaility in my case. I have in the last couple of days had problems with my router holding a sync, which at first I thought was an isp issuse, but with futher investication, and using my speedtouch modem have relaised that it wasn't, and the issuse is either the cable from router to splitter box is doggy (which I have now changed, and having no problems at the moment) or it is a software or physical problem with my router and not an issue with the telephone extention lead.

pookie 14:33 17 Mar 05

many thanks guys for all replies - i'll let you know how it goes when modem/etc arrives.

pj123 - click here

cheers

P

pookie 14:43 17 Mar 05

graham - 'For your set-up, simply unplug the telephone from the double adaptor and replace with a filter. Plug the telephone into the filter.

At the PC end, plug in a filter and connect the modem lead to the ADSL socket of the filter.'

sorry if i've misread but does that mean use both filters on the one extension lead ie one at start of extension in double adapter for telephone AND the other filter at end of extension lead for modem? and if so will i need another (a third) filter for telephone upstairs?

P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…