Query about Windows XP

Janet-201707 16:01 04 May 04

Afternoon all

I am considering upgrading from Windows 98SE to Windows XP. Where would I find the required Info on the 'how to's' and known downside for so doing, so that I can make a proper decision based on fact? I am told xP is a far better OS, but when I look at the magazines in bookshops there seems to be just as much trouble running it as there is on 98. Having re-formatted harddrive over weekend, will it be required I do the same before setting XP up?

Thanks for any advise

Janet

AndySD 16:04 04 May 04

Xp may well slow your pc down noticably if its low spec. Can you give us some info on your pc....eg cpu speed RAM etc.

one23 16:12 04 May 04

Have a look at the articles and help instructions here
click here

Janet-201707 19:54 04 May 04

Hi Andy

I am running Windows 98 se on a PC with 128mg ram, 30 GB harddrive, not quite as good as today's technology. PC is 3 years old

dfghjkl 20:02 04 May 04

your hard drive is ok,xp takes 1.5 gig,by the time you have all your bits and bobs you will still have 20 to 25 gig left,but you need at least 256 of memory,more if possible.over a 500mhz cpu would be needed.people will tell you they run xp on less,but if you are going to go for it,you might as well be able to use it how it was meant to be used.

dfghjkl 20:02 04 May 04

your hard drive is ok,xp takes 1.5 gig,by the time you have all your bits and bobs you will still have 20 to 25 gig left,but you need at least 256 of memory,more if possible.over a 500mhz cpu would be needed.people will tell you they run xp on less,but if you are going to go for it,you might as well be able to use it how it was meant to be used.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…