Query about 2.5" USB external hard drive

Brainless Brian 12:51 23 Jan 05

TOSHIBA LAPTOP RUNNING XP HOME
I have just purchased a 2.5" external hard drive which connects to my laptop via a USB connection.
The device works fine, but when connecting it, I received a warning message saying that the USB hub has encountered an excessive power surge.Am I doing something wrong?

Belatucadrus 13:07 23 Jan 05

Sounds like the drive is drawing rather more power through USB than your laptop likes, but a bit more information please, this will allow the experts to offer more focused info.

Is it sharing the USB socket with anything else ?

What model USB drive is it.

ton 13:16 23 Jan 05

I have a 2.5 external drive that came with a double ended USB cable, so it takes power from two USB ports.

I don't know if you can buy these cables, but if you can it might be the answer to your problem.

fitcher 14:51 23 Jan 05

ton/ is right look for the double ended cable .(if it has no power supply unit)..some laptops now have an extra powered usb port .have you looked on maplins ?

Brainless Brian 16:51 23 Jan 05

Thanks for your interest.I will try to give you more information.The drive is from a company called SAROTECH. ( CUTIE POCKET DISK DRIVE )
Model No FHD-253
Interface USB 2.0
DC Input +5V
The drive does indeed have a second lead with a small power connector on one end and a USB on the other.I have tried using this and and a USB connection together in the two ports on the laptop, but with the same error message appearing.Having said this, the message balloon only appears for a second or so, on connection and then disappears.
Other tham this the drive seems to operate with no problems Sadly the instruction manual supplied is written in pidgeon english and is offering no guide.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…