queries about backing up the hard drive

trisha01 12:18 17 Feb 07

I know it's prudent to back up your hard drive, but what exactly do you back up? everything? would I need special software to do this or could I use the back up program that comes with Nero or the Acer software that comes with this pc or in fact any of the software that I have that has back up facilities?

I'm going to get an external hard drive for storage of music and photos etc could I back up onto this and have this drive to boot from in case of failure? if so would the operating system need to go on this storage drive? and what would I alter in the bios?

such a lot of questions!

Kate B 12:54 17 Feb 07

There are a couple of things you could do. You could use a utility like the excellent Acronis True Image which you can use to take a snapshot of your hard drive so that if you have to reinstall Windows, you can then restore your machine to where it was before it fell over.

However, I prefer simply to back up my data - I use an external hard drive - because if a Windows installation has gone so badly wrong it requires putting back to scratch, I don't want to reinstate from an image all the old settings and any software that was potentially the cause of the problem.

An image of your hard drive, though, would be a great option if you had to replace your hard drive - you could be back up and running very quickly.

VoG II 12:57 17 Feb 07

I would create an Image (not a backup) using Norton Ghost click here

This can be set up to automatically save images to an external drive on a schedule. You can retrieve individual files from the image or if things go pear-shaped you can boot from the Ghost CD into the Recovery Environment and restore an entire disk image.

An alternative is Acronis TI click here

trisha01 22:59 18 Feb 07

Thanks think I will back up to an external hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…