Quality of digital photographs

23790954 21:04 19 Oct 05

Being an elderly retired person who very much enjoys his computer, I have just invested in a very good quality digital camera.
My printer is a Canon i865, which I bought new, over a year ago, and with which I have been very happy.
Can anyone tell me whether or not photographs printed via computer and printer, from digital cameras fade in time, and if so after about how long.
I do not want to print any photos I value, then delete them, if they are likely to fade.
Many thanks for any information given.

woodchip 21:09 19 Oct 05

If you value photos then get a External USB Hard Drive and save them on that. And if anybody want's a photo you can print them one

Snec 21:12 19 Oct 05

woodchip's advice is todays Top Choice.

Honestly, that really is the only way to deal with it.

23790954 - yes, they will fade.

Jackcoms 21:13 19 Oct 05

Any photograph, produced from whatever source, will fade over time.

However, you can always store copies of those photos on CD or some other external backup medium so that they will be there for a very long time.

In fact, if you are an "elderly retired person" the stored photos will probably outlive you. ;-)

woodchip 21:15 19 Oct 05

And it was from a 69 year old OAP. who uses Digi camera and Digi Vidio

woodchip 21:17 19 Oct 05

Silly me Video

Rayspan 00:22 20 Oct 05

Just for interest - Epson claim twenty years before pics fade. Pics, that is, printed with a Stylus PHOTO printer, on Epson top quality paper kept under glass, out of direct sunlight et.c et.c and, of course, printed with Epson's own ink.
I have about twenty 10 x 8 family portraits in glass fronted frames printed on a 1290 Epson Stylus P. They've been on my wall for about 4 years, and they don't seem to have faded at all.

I'm 68 - hope they'll see me out!

anchor 09:26 20 Oct 05

That sums it up. ALL colour photo prints will fade in time, including those from a normal film camera, especially if exposed to strong light.

Store your original digital pictures safely, and then, if necessary, you can re-print them in later years.

Pidder 10:49 20 Oct 05

Just to add my thoughts, I would think that prints done in a photo processing establishment by a proper photographic process, not an ink-jet printer, would last somewhat longer, especially stored in an album. Our local Asda processing lab uses Fujicolor Crystal Archive paper which I take to be long lasting. Anyone have different views? Just to add, doubts have been expressed about the longevity of records on CDs.

Stuartli 12:22 20 Oct 05

Imation claims that certain of its DVD rewritable products (rebranded Taiyo Muden media) will last for at least 100 years - don't know how they are so sure though.

Certainly CD-R disks (not the industry standard CD-ROM types) do need more care in handling and storage to ensure the longest possible life span. But I expect it will be quite considerable.

pauldonovan 13:27 20 Oct 05

..it is from a while ago now but I suspect quite a bit still holds true.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…