QoS Packet Scheduler - What's all the fuss?

BigMoFoT 22:03 10 Oct 05

I vaguely remember when the runours started that this networking service was supposed to limit your ADSL connection's bandwidth. After receently having an argument with a friend about what it actually does or doesn't do and whether it is actually needed I thought I'd start a thread.

I'm presuming that it actually ensures consistency for network packets\traffic but does it make a difference on a home ADSL connection?

What everyone's thoughts\experiences on this?

Gaz 25 01:25 19 Oct 05

The QoS Packet Scheduler service is used for 'special services' that microsoft feel are critical.

Guess what? Windows Update.

I'm not aware that it does anything else other than provide QoS when running Automatic Updates.

It may also throttle Multicast (Video Streaming over IP) traffic, but this isn't documented.

I'm also not aware of it slowing Ethernet or ADSL connections. I have it enabled, and there has been no issues with speed over an Ethernet connection.

You may find that Windows Update will slow down your surfing/downloads and vice versa with it disabled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…