Q:/ possible instrusion??? - Invader alert?

RMormeister 17:21 01 Nov 11
Answered

I have noticed that I have acquired a Q:/. The problem happened approximately 1 month ago when I saw it appear in "my computer" - I never had a Q: when I first started using my laptop about 9 months ago.

I did get a little concerned as I noticed the appearance of my windows 7 start button change. IT changed from the standard round sign to the old rectangle button, my screen all seemed a little dated (something like a server screen??) I didnt know what had happened.

I noticed that I had networks appearing stating "public folders" to which I had no access to amend/enter.

I decided enough was enough and chose to restore my laptop to factory settings. Once the computer had restarted I was delighted to notice the Q:/ was not present. However, after 3 days I have seen that it has reappeared, and now I am wondering what is going to happen now??? It states "Microsoft Office 2010", although I am aware that Q:/ does usually relate to Microsoft Office I believe this is something a little more sinister. Please do let me know if you feel I am exaggerating, however, the fact that it reappeared and now I have ongoing processes as opposed to 75 when I restored my laptop to factory settings.

Please help.

gengiscant 17:28 01 Nov 11
Answer

Seemingly quite innocent: Q:/

And a bit more reading here: Q:/ 2

RMormeister 17:35 01 Nov 11

Thanks for the information.

However, last time I left the Q:/ (as someone else said the same thing) I noticed that I started getting network connections and have public folders, and I believe that someone else could access my info (via a LAN)???

Is it possible that this could have come through the Q:

gengiscant 18:29 01 Nov 11

Everything you need to know is in the second link I posted. You must have installed Microsoft click and run. If you do not want the Q drive then remove it and either install the full version or use open office.

Hear is a bit more info. Google

gengiscant 18:29 01 Nov 11

Everything you need to know is in the second link I posted. You must have installed Microsoft click and run. If you do not want the Q drive then remove it and either install the full version or use open office.

Hear is a bit more info. Google

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5