Puzzled about the ACER system

capnsofa 17:58 07 Jan 06

I have recently bought an Acer Aspire 1800 laptop and am very pleased with everything it does.
However, I am puzzled over two points :
(1) Why does the AcerSystem have 2 hard disks "C" and "D" of about equal size - what is the purpose of this, as "D" does not appear to be storing anything!
(2) The specification shows a Removable Disk "F" - my Windows Money keeps trying to write the backup to it, but I can't find it! I manage to backup on to CD under location "E". Also,if I plug in a Memory Stick, this shows as Removable Disk "G"!!

SG Atlantis® 18:05 07 Jan 06

it's probably beem partitioned, which means it's one hdd made to look and behave like 2 hard disks.

Means you can store say photos and documents on the second partition D, and windows and applications will be stored to C.

Removable disk F, does the laptop have card reader? cos that's what it probably is.

capnsofa 18:31 07 Jan 06

Note what you say about the 2 hard disks - will photos and documents automatically go to "D"? I have not been asked if I wish to use it.
Yes I do have a card reader, so that explains the purpose of "F". Don't understand why 'Money' is trying to use it!
Sadly, I feel this is another example of manufacturers/distributors explaining WHAT a system will do, but not HOW !! (See my query of 2Jan06)

BRYNIT 18:39 07 Jan 06

Money is using F: as a removable drive to create a backup on instead of the usual A: floppy drive. You can switch this off. In Money go to tools/options/backup and remove the tick from automatically backup to floppy. You can also sellect/create a folder to store your backup files on your hard drive.

SG Atlantis® 18:48 07 Jan 06

no you need to save them there.

You can choose where to save docs when you go File, Save. Or you can manually drag them there.

danielsimmons 00:53 14 Feb 06

hidden partition - system hdd 2 hdd restor
c: system drive - this drive is only restored when restalling windows
d: system drive - recommed 2 save here because when restoring windows its all kept not lost.

Dan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…