Puzzle with mandrake 9.1

seedie 16:36 30 Aug 03

98SE, Partition Magic, Boot Magic, Emergency startup floppies for PM8.

Installed this on c: this afternoon. At the point where it gets to bootloader I opted for floppy boot thinking it would write something to a floppy.

The long and short is I can't get it to boot.
Tried PM8 and made the Linux partition Primary, but Boot magic won't accept the linux partition as valid.

Noticed at the bootloader bit an option for the setup to write to the MBR, if I allow this will I be able to boot into win ever again without destroying the Linux partition.

hugh-265156 16:49 30 Aug 03

create a 50mb fat partition and install bootmagic

when choosing a bootloader either lilo or grub is fine and i chose to write to the mbr.you can always restore this if it goes pear shaped by using a boot floppy with fdisk on it. just boot with the floppy and type fdisk /mbr to restore the master boot record and get back into windows.

i had problems when i let mandrake partition the drive, PM could not read it afterwards.use partition magic to create the partitions instead click here

using bootmagic click here

hugh-265156 16:54 30 Aug 03

forget about the last click here,i just noticed you have win98.

seedie 16:59 30 Aug 03

Thanks huggy I'll paste this into word.

Believe it or not..Never used fdisk before but not scared of it.

Going let this simmer a bit.

woodchip 17:10 30 Aug 03

Your best bet is remove all the Linux partitions with Partition Magic, leave what space you want for Mandrake ("FREE") not a partition just FREE space that's what Mandrake likes to see. About 7Gb if you can spare it, when you start the install put the bootloader on the Mandrake Partition that it creates "it will ask you". When it comes to create system Start disc make sure that you make one as this will boot your computer, you will not need to dual boot if you do it this way when you have loaded I would suggest you make another boot disc and put it away safe. To start Mandrake start with the floppy in the drive

seedie 20:47 30 Aug 03

Despite my best efforts I still can't get this thing to boot, however, I'm not giving up but what I do need is a proggy which will recognise the linux partitions which mandrake has created and delete them. Partition Magic resolutely refuses to do this. Any takers on this one?

hugh-265156 20:57 30 Aug 03

delete the mandrake partitions using fdisk,be careful not to delete windows.

hugh-265156 21:00 30 Aug 03

the 98 oem or 98se discs click here have a copy of fdisk on them

hugh-265156 21:08 30 Aug 03

whats the error no.? click here

as i said above earlier,i let mandrake create its own partitions then pm refused to acknowledge it,the error i had was 113,the solution was not very easy for me to follow though.as above i used fdisk as i had only just installed mandrake and had nothing to lose be deleteing the linux partition.

second time i created all the partitions with pm and told linux to use the existing linux partitions it worked fine.

seedie 21:12 30 Aug 03

huggy. have fdisk on puter but it doesn't seem recognise linux partitions.

C drive is already patitioned as C: and E:

The free space after E: is where linux lives.

D: is second bootable drive.

E: contains dictionaries an encyclopaedias which I would like to keep

seedie 21:16 30 Aug 03

ERROR #510

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…