Putting XP on my Sony Vaio

meknight 19:24 24 Nov 13

I have tried to install XP on my Sony Vaio, but the installation does not recognise the laptops hard drive (Fujitsu MHY2200BH [ATA]).

I am led to believe that this means that either the XP installation disc doesn't contain the driver for that hard drive or the utility driver.

I've found help that suggests using nLite to implant the hard drive driver onto a new XP installation CD, but I cannot find the driver anywhere!

Any other brilliant people got some ideas???

Please help!! ;-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:40 24 Nov 13

You just need standard sata drivers what model vaio?

lotvic 19:53 24 Nov 13

You haven't said model number of laptop. It's the sata driver to match the Chipset (motherboard) you need.

See if your laptop is on the list on sony website click here Applicable Products and Operating Systems (see full list...) and download the SATA driver .zip file.

Before you 'nlite' you could see if altering a setting in BIOS setup works for you click here

meknight 22:18 24 Nov 13

The Laptop Model is VGN-NR21J.

I have looked at the BIOS but it really is very limited functionality - never seen one as useless to be honest!

Surely standard SATA drivers would be included on the XP installation disc?

The problem is that I initiate the XP disc, it installs the first essential bits it needs, and then I ask it to do a fresh install (rather than a repair etc) - the next screen would normally ask which hard drive you want to install on to - but it comes up with a message saying something like 'there are no hard drives associated with this system'.

meknight 22:24 24 Nov 13

It's a Vista Laptop. Is wanting to make it XP going to make driver hunting difficult?

Thank you all SO much for your help!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:43 24 Nov 13

Surely standard SATA drivers would be included on the XP installation disc?

No XP was issued before sata drives became avaiable.

drivers here

onthelimit1 07:40 25 Nov 13

You will need to slipstream the drivers to an XP disk. Plenty of advice from Google on how to do this

meknight 11:11 26 Nov 13

The BIOS is by Phoenix and has almost no functionality. There is no way of altering the HD config in anyway - unless I've missed something!

I've looked at the Sony website which offers XP users 'Vaio Update' which is no use for adding to an XP setup disc.

I'm starting to realise this may be a lost cause!

Any other blinding inspirations???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…