putting xp home on a win.98se comp

xptosmtbd 10:15 13 May 04

Hi I have two computers one running win 98se. and one running xp home. The disk I have for the xp home comp. says on it Application and support CD, and has all kinds of files on it that I don't understand. Can I put win. xp home on my win. 98se with this disk?, and if so how do I go about it, I am not bothered about keeping 98se on the 2nd. computer but if it is easier to keep it on then that's ok.....Thanks in advance Sandra

Arthur Scrimshaw 10:21 13 May 04

If you only have one copy of XP you cannot legally install it on two machines.

xptosmtbd 10:23 13 May 04

Hi Arthur, Thanks for getting back to me. That's a surprise and a bit a cheek really don't you think, after all I have bought it?????

Arthur Scrimshaw 10:32 13 May 04

You must appreciate that Bill Gates needs all the money he can get so he can overtake that IKEA chap in the 'Worlds Richest Man' list.

Seriously - it's in the EULA (end user licence agreement) that comes with the software.
I think that if you did go ahead and install it on the 98se machine, you may encounter difficulties activating it, and if you can't activate it will stop working after 30 days or so.

xptosmtbd 11:22 13 May 04

Thanks Arthur, Just one more question then. I am thinking of buying a second hand laptop from a friend. It is quite a new machine and has xp on it. Does this mean that I wont own the os, and if it does will I run into trouble trying to use it on line?

georgemac 11:30 13 May 04

it is licensed to run on the laptop so I would not worry about it. Not sure of the exact legal position (EULA is complicated) but I think you will be OK.

Arthur Scrimshaw 13:32 13 May 04

Sandra, as long as the laptop was bought with XP pre-installed or XP was bought and installed later should will be fine. If it has been running XP for a while it should have been activated so no worries there either.

As a footnote - you never, ever, own Microsoft software. What you pay for is a licence to use it. The terms of that licence (EULA) spell out what you can and can't do with the software but most people don't bother to read them, and they are not the easiest things to get to grips with.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…