Putting PC Into Standby Mode

I,Me and Myself 19:23 18 Jun 06

Trying to put my parents' PC into Standby mode but the only thing that was closing down was the monitor. What am I doing wrong?

Is it okay to leave the PC on Standby all day and then turn off the PC at night?

Could someone please tell me the difference between Standby and Hibernate - in very simple terms - and how do you set it up to Hibernaye?

ade.h 19:28 18 Jun 06

Standby continues to supply power to RAM and certain other system components with the aim of keeping your Windows session in memory. It powers up quickly.

Hibernation saves the contents of RAM to a portion of the HDD with some appended data, then shuts down everything completely. To all intents and purposes, it is the same as a shutdown, bar the fact that Windows cannot perform the tasks that it normally performs at shutdown. It boots up quite quickly.

SANTOS7 19:29 18 Jun 06

Standby is a feature that you can use on your PC that will put your computer into a power-saving mode without turning it off. but should never be used if your computer is going to be off for more than five or ten minutes. Extended use of the Standby feature can cause several problems with your PC including slow response time, disconnectivity of the wireless or network resources, freezing, or even loss of data.

If your computer is going to be off for more than a few minutes, it is recommended that you shut it down completely.

The Hibernate function is also an alternative to standby for longer periods of inactivity. This saves everything in memory to your laptop's hard drive and completely powers down the computer. In turn, the startup time is faster than it would be when starting up from a complete shutdown. This too, unfortunately, has it's drawbacks, which can be the same as those experienced with Standby mode.

Whether you use either Standby or Hibernate, it is important to remember that you should completely shut down your computer at least once a day. Extended periods of use can lead to system instability, and a quick restart gives your computer a chance to refresh itself.

If you are using Windows XP Home Edition, or Windows XP Professional with Fast User Switching turned on, the Turn Off Computer menu will present the options to Stand By, Turn Off, or Restart your computer. To put your computer into Hibernate mode, click Start, and then click Turn off computer. Press and hold the Shift key. The label under the first button changes from Stand By to Hibernate. Click Hibernate.

ade.h 19:33 18 Jun 06

Remember to enable hibernation first if it is not already switched on click here

I,Me and Myself 13:49 19 Jun 06

ade.h - your link did not work. Could you let me know what it is I was meant to be viewing please.

I,Me and Myself 13:49 19 Jun 06

Is it okay to leave the PC in Hibernation for a few hours then or not? Is it just best to turn off when not in use.

ade.h 14:05 19 Jun 06

The link works.

I,Me and Myself 14:14 19 Jun 06

All I get is a page saying that the requested URL was not found.

ade.h 14:41 19 Jun 06

I just tested it. It works.

To answer your last question; yes, it is okay to leave it in hibernation for - in my experience and opinion - an indefinite period of time. It is, after all, completely switched off. Anyone who spends their working days using a laptop on battery power will often have to hibernate it when the cell is almost empty because it's much quicker than a shutdown. You must shutdown on a regular basis, though.

I,Me and Myself 16:06 19 Jun 06

Cannot accress the link. Could someone please tell me how to activate 'hibernation' please.

SANTOS7 16:43 19 Jun 06

Follow these steps to activate Hibernate mode.

1. On the Start menu, click Control Panel. In Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance.

2. In the Performance and Maintenance window, click or double-click the Power Options or Power Management icon.

3. In the Power Options Properties dialog box, click the Hibernate tab.

4. On the Hibernate tab, click Enable Hibernation, and then click Apply. Hibernate mode is now an option you can select on the Advanced tab and in the Turn Off Computer dialog box.

Follow these steps to use hibernation as a power saving mode.

1. Open the Power Options dialog box.

2. Click the Power Schemes or Advanced tab.

3. Select Hibernate as one of the power settings.

4. Click OK to save the changes.

Follow theses steps to manually place your computer into hibernation.

1. On the Start menu, click Turn Off Computer, press and hold the SHIFT key, and then click Hibernate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…