Putting O/S on second drive

I have two hard drives in my PC. The main drive is 'C' at 240GB the second drive is 'F' at 80GB. When I put the windows CD and reboot from CD rom it starts installing on 'F' but then it reboots as it should but goes straight into 'C' without completing the O/S installation on 'F'.

What am I doing wrong please?

FelixTCat 08:42 19 Aug 06

[email protected],

First, how have you managed to get 2 hard drives as C: and F:? What are D: and E:?

Second, what version of Windows are you trying to install?

Regards,

Felix

D + E are DVD drives and the O/S is XP pro.

FelixTCat 09:26 19 Aug 06

[email protected],

When the installation starts, XP gives you the option of installing on the default drive (C:) or changing to another drive. Are you trying to install n C: or F:?

Regards,

Felix

On 'F' I know its the correct one because it shows the size of the drive.

al224 09:45 19 Aug 06

How did you get to C: and F: without D: and E: - do you have two CD drives or what???

Are you trying to put XP on the hard drive.

FelixTCat 12:41 19 Aug 06

[email protected],

I can only think that XP is being confused by the fact that D: and E: are not hard drives or partitions. I have installed XP on an H: drive with no problems where C: to G: were all hard drive partitions.

Did you set up the second hard drive as a primary partition or an extended partition?

Regards,

Felix

vinnyT 14:16 19 Aug 06

Don't know why it's doing this but, I think the easiest way of doing this would be to open the case, and simply remove the connection to the hd you don't want the os to be on.

When the os is installed plup the 2nd hd back in.

Hope this helps.

As I said earlier al224 'D' and 'E' are DVD drives. I haven't set up the second drive as anything I just installed it and the PC recognised it and put as the 'F' drive.

DieSse 18:02 19 Aug 06

You may need to change the BIOS to tell it which drive to boot from. You can usually select from amongst the various drives - select the second hard drive and you should be OK.

When I go into the boot sequence within the bios it only gives me the option of hard disk and not both choices. I have the 1st boot as CD Rom so it boots from the windows CD but the second option is just hard disk and not the choice of either hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…