Putting new life into old '98 desktop

Technotiger 09:31 08 Jan 08

Hi guys, I am going to try to resurrect an old desktop tower which had Win 98 - belonging to a friend. I have the old 10Gb hard drive at my place and re-formatted it on my desktop (using a usb enclosure) NTFS. I am planning to re-install '98 and then upgrade to ME, I have both original OS CD's. The old machine has been empty, ie no hard drive, and unused for about a year or a little more.
I have a spare new mobo battery if needed. My friends only intend to use it (if I can get it working) for small print jobs, recipes/club letters and the like - their main PC is a new Vista tower, which they have now had for about nine months.

Am I likely to meet any problems, particularly re NTFS - '98/ME?

I am being picked-up by them in half an hour, so any response to this needs to be fairly quick - sorry about the short notice! Any takers ??

Diemmess 09:35 08 Jan 08

Briefly NTFS not a good idea!
FAT32 for Windows 98.

Technotiger 09:39 08 Jan 08

Thanks Diemmess, that was what I suspected, I can re-format it FAT32. At the time I formatted it, some time ago, I was not sure what my friends wanted to do with it after they got their new PC.

Diemmess 09:43 08 Jan 08

I think the idea is sound.
It makes sense to go for an OS better suited to the old hardware. You could go straight to ME if you don't have a copy of Win 98SE (to allow USB connections)

Technotiger 09:49 08 Jan 08

Great, just what I wanted to know - thanks again.

Re-formatting now.

Technotiger 10:00 08 Jan 08

I am green-ticking this, but will let you know later how I get on.

Thanks again ... TT

Technotiger 14:48 08 Jan 08

Old machine successfully brought back to life, with Win ME. Old Cannon scanner set up and Epson (USB) printer all working great. Plus a few useful programs to get them started again - will be going along later to set it up wirelessly with their present setup (Vista desktop with BT HomeHub).

Thanks again .... TT

Diemmess 15:16 08 Jan 08

But then you obviously have done it before.

- Must have impressed your friends though!

Technotiger 16:47 08 Jan 08

Yes, they were well impressed (btw my friends and I are all Silver Surfer types) - about five years since I last did anything like that, so I was pleased with the results.

Cheers .......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…