'puter won't power on (I'm not a complete newbie!)

GibsonSt19 13:24 14 Oct 03

My PC's been up and running for some time now, however yesterday the dog walked passed it and shook (as dogs do!) The tiniest amount of saliva landed on the power on button and I thought nothing of it as it was pretty viscous anyway and thought it wouldn't manage to seep around. I dried it up and went for a cuppa, but upon my return the PC was off.

I've tried using a different power lead, thinking a fuse may have gone or summat, but no luck.

I've opened the 'puter up and ensured that all cables are securely in place, however the PC still won't power up at all.

Do you think this is simply a replacement case job, replacement PSU job or a mobo/processor fry up? I hope it's not the last, dear Lord I hope not.

Hope you can help, especially if there are any electropeople out there!

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 13:35 14 Oct 03

This sounds wierd a dogs saliva on pwer button lol,i dont think thta would have caused pc to just
turn off,it not set to stand by or antthin is it? can you turn mains off and start that way ?

Regards.

graham√ 13:37 14 Oct 03

It sounds like some of your dog has gone inside. Check near any vent holes or floppy for signs of arcing. With any luck, it may be just the PSU fuse that's blown.

Take the usual precautions before venturing inside the case.

GibsonSt19 13:40 14 Oct 03

I've tried plugging it in to a few outlets, changed power plug, ensured cables/wires are secure but still nothing whatsoever. I left it happily downloading, returned to find the whole system off and not switchonable :(

Not on standby or anything similar.

goonerbill 13:41 14 Oct 03

doubt very much if a bit of dog spit would cause any problem by landing on the on/off switch (have heard of some strange things with pc's, like a mouse stopping a pc from posting but i digress) sounds as if the psu have gone.

try a friends psu in ya pc or any other components ( hope he a very good friend) or trying your components in his pc

GibsonSt19 14:03 14 Oct 03

I have a spare system at home (spare eh? posh or what?!) so I'll do some component swapping I think.

Please let it only be the PSU, please let it only be the PSU, please let it only be the PSU.....etc

I'll get back to yers later.

Thanks lots

Gongoozler 14:15 14 Oct 03

The power on/off switch is only a momentary action swich. You should be able to replicate the action by using a spare lead with the correct pins to connect to your motherboard and touching the ends together.

GibsonSt19 14:35 14 Oct 03

Touching the ends of the tiny black connectors together? I though that the metal bits were protected by black pastick?

woodchip 14:50 14 Oct 03

the power pins on the Mobo bridge the two pins and then remove, With a screwdriver, the power plug normally bottom right and normally marked PW

GibsonSt19 20:25 14 Oct 03

I tried my other PC's PSU and this has now sorted the prob.

I will have to purchase a better PSU though as my ATI Radeon Card is somewhat demanding!

Thanks guys and galls

Gongoozler 20:45 14 Oct 03

Hi GibsonSt19. I'm pleased that you got the problem sorted - pity though about having to spend the money on a new psu. To clarify my suggestion above, what I was suggesting was to get a pair of wires with the correct connector, and touching the ends of the wires together. The same thing as woodchip was suggesting but using the bits of insulated wire to avoid the risk of shorting the wrong pins with a screwdriver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…