put old hard drive in new computer

chaz-238897 19:31 13 Jul 04

do i have to format my old hard drive when i use it as the only drive in a new computer i am building? i have a fear that my back up is not reliable

Forum Editor 19:38 13 Jul 04

Just install the drive and boot the computer. Windows will go into a frenzy of activity as it recognises and configures various components and so on, but sit back and let that happen. Usually there are no problems - but you may need the odd driver from the CD that came with your motherboard.

I doubt you'll have any trouble at all, but if you do........you know where to come (and who to blame!).

Smegs 19:40 13 Jul 04

Forum Editor, Always ;-)). Haven't you got a family to go home to??

Forum Editor 19:41 13 Jul 04

that if you have Windows XP installed on the drive it may decide that it needs to be reactivated in the new computer. Just go through the procedure - it should happen automatically if you can connect to the internet, otherwise you'll need to phone Microsoft.

bremner 19:41 13 Jul 04

You do not say so but if you do happen to have XP as the O/S on the drive then it may not be straight forward as FE describes.

Smegs 19:43 13 Jul 04

I have just put a brand new hard drive in my pc, Xp home never even ask for the prod code or reactivated it.

Forum Editor 19:44 13 Jul 04

Yes - I'm working from my home office now. My wife is at her desk across the room, having an interminable phone conversation with her sister, and periodically telling me it's time to hand over to a duty moderator and take a break for dinner.

The human side of running the forum.

bremner 19:48 13 Jul 04

Just installing a hard drive will not normally worry XP.

I replaced mobo, CPU and memory and it totally refused to work. Tried all suggestions but in the end it took a reformat and reinstall. If warden 11 is building a new machine around an old hard drive running XP they are quite likely to have some problems.

Smegs 19:52 13 Jul 04

Forum Editor, it sounds like you have a GOOD WOMAN there.

bremner, I would have thought, that it would have asked for the product code!!

bremner 19:58 13 Jul 04

I thought you meant you added a second drive - was it an OEM copy, a recovery disk or a full copy?

Totally-braindead 19:59 13 Jul 04

FE I sortof agree with you, sometimes it does work ok but sometimes it just seems to create one hell of a mess. I'm more inclined to format before doing anything else to avoid these problems. In particular I've had problems with the motherboard drivers if it not a clean install. Sorry to disagree, perhaps you know better I don't know, I just know that I've had problems when trying this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…