pushing the tray?

jbp1982 15:54 22 Nov 05

does it do the cd drive any harm?

How do you do yours?

I'm curious as the machine I have has external doors, once opened ya can't reach the button, so you have to push the drive back in. My old teachers used to shout as us for that!

GaT7 16:01 22 Nov 05

Yes, I read somewhere (or somebody told me) that pushing the tray isn't good for the mechanism & would cause damage.

There are small free applications (software) which helps one close the tray with a mouse click. If I find one I'll be back to post the link. G

jbp1982 16:03 22 Nov 05

I have had a look at a few, got trojans and they mess up my computer, had to do a destructiuve recovery to get it back.

GaT7 16:04 22 Nov 05

Here's one - CD Tray Pal click here. G

ade.h 16:07 22 Nov 05

It depends on the drive; my Pioneer DVD-rom responds to a light touch and whirrs back in, while my Asus CD-rw needs a heavy press to respond. I think that if it doesn't have a response mechanism or it takes a heavy push to get a response, then don't push it.

jbp1982 16:07 22 Nov 05

not that good. It has a feature "get cd" that keeps ejecting and closing the cd so that it autoloads. You can't disable it. Just set the time for 60mins.

Thanks for the effort.

ade.h 16:08 22 Nov 05

Keep a shortcut to each drive on your desktop. The eject option is only a right-click away then.

jbp1982 16:09 22 Nov 05

ade h. The generic dvd drive that was in the machine takes a good push. The philips drive I added is very sensitive and secure where as the tray in the generic drive feels loose.

GaT7 16:11 22 Nov 05

Try Tray Commander Lite, with a few other functions click here. G

pj123 16:14 22 Nov 05

I must admit to "pushing the tray" but gently.

I have two optical drives and it is difficult to press the "button" when they are open, so I normally just "push". Hasn't had any detrimental effects so far.

Chegs ®™ 16:14 22 Nov 05

The way I see it is if the tray is only meant to be closed via the button,why do nearly all drives have the button underneath the tray requiring a modicum of use to be able to locate it via touch 1st go.On my DVD drive the tray usually closes as I bump it reaching for the button. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…