purge system restore

bendigo 17:15 08 Jan 10

When I run Noadware v 5, to scan my pc, two threats appear. They are itemised as 'Content Watch' and are located in c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\File
and ditto \All Users\Directory .They are both classified as 'Severe' (in red). The programme tells me it must reboot the pc in order to remove items.
after the reboot, if I rescan the items are shown again. It has been suggested that system restore is causing this and that I should purge it. Is this good advice? If yes, how do I proceed. If not, what next? I'm running xp.
Thanks in anticipation

chub_tor 17:25 08 Jan 10

click here then run your scan again and if clear manually set a new Restore Point.

rawprawn 17:26 08 Jan 10

It is quite possible that the nasties are hiding in system restore. However before purging that, try scanning, and deleting the problems using Safe Mode ( keep tapping F8 when booting to get into safe mode)

rawprawn 17:51 08 Jan 10

click here as a better alternative
also click here
download and update then run.

mfletch 18:53 08 Jan 10

c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\File

This is not the system restore location so there not being detected in there,

Download one or both that rawprawn has posted they are the best at the moment.

bendigo 17:09 13 Jan 10

Hi everyone. tried several of the suggestions, both rawprawn's give 'no problems' results whilst noadware still shows the two severe risk files. in order to clear them, or even to switch off having denied clearing, the programme automatically re-starts the pc, this then must allow system restore to re-load the two files. When I select 'turn off sys restore' I am warned that all restore files will be cleared. In other words I will purge them. As I paid for the Noadware programme I want to be sure that it is at fault before considering getting rid of it. It seems that purging the sys restore files is the only way to find out. what precautions (if any) should I take first?

User-1229748 17:19 13 Jan 10

noadware needs to go i reckon :o( click here;page

Sea Urchin 17:26 13 Jan 10

NoAdware has a very bad reputation - until last year it was considered to be a rogue anti-spyware program but it is now considered to be "passable". However, it still throws up false positives frequently, and these may be just that.

As mfletch says they are not reported as being in in your system restore files, so I would just run the programs as advised above for your peace of mind.

Sea Urchin 17:28 13 Jan 10

OK - didn't see you had run them already so I would suggest you're in the clear.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced