purchasing new PCs

cherie 21:30 30 Jan 03

I have a budget of £2,500 approx. to purchase as many new PCs as poss. for the small Primary school where I'm ICT co-ordinator. I have to make a decision by tomorrow and I've been quoted £512 (ex-VAT) for 1.8 AthlonXP,256Mb Ram,40Gb HD,Network cards, 15" monitor,1 year off-site warr.,+ Windows Office. Does this seem reasonable value?

mouseman 21:51 30 Jan 03

You probably wont need this spec. for a primary school.

Speak to a local company and do a deal (bulk)for less RAM/smaller Hdd/cheaper or lower processor.

Will it be on a network as that is another consideration? Consider your licensing.

The Kestrel 21:56 30 Jan 03

Do you need such high spec PCs for use in your school. I teach at a secondary school, where all the PCs have 1.3 Duron processors and have generally lower specs than the one you are considering. Are these PCs to be networked, or run as stand alone machines, as that will affect the spec. you need. Do you know the ICT co-ordinator at any of your feeder secondary schools? Talking to one of them, or your LEA inspector/advisor before spending this considerable sum of money would be advisable.

cherie 21:58 30 Jan 03

Yes, we do have most of our computers networked.
The quote I had is from Novatech and I know that other local schools have purchased from them but I also feel that I can probably do better locally. Thanks for the interest.

jazzypop 22:29 30 Jan 03

That is a good price for that hardware and software combination.

If you have to agree a deal by tomorrow, I would recommend that you take it.

Novatech are a well-respected company.

pj123 16:12 31 Jan 03

Don't know where you are situated but if you still have time to make up your mind try this site click here

see what you can get.

cherie 22:42 31 Jan 03

Thanks for all the advice. The reason I had to make up my mind so quickly was that I was going to join up with another school to order and they were sending off the order today (Friday). I've now put it on temporary hold until I check out what I can get for the money locally as I don't want to rush into it and end up with fewer high-spec computers rather than more slightly lower spec.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5