Purchasing a Laptop

Solva 11:52 09 Mar 07

Hi Guys as you have been so helpfull recently I thought I would canvass opinion. I looking for a new Laptop requirements are a cpu of 1.6- 1.8 Gig and Ram of About 1.6 Gig. The rest isnt really important. I want this for as cheap as possible.

What do you reckon

vinnyT 12:57 09 Mar 07

Click the lenovo ad (atm, it's at the top of the page. They have lts that would fit your specs (except the ram, but I think you are likely going to have to increase the ram yourself, as 1.6gb is an odd spec), they are very reliable and have good specs.

Lenovo is a Chinees Co. that brought IBMs pc business a few years back.

Hope this helps.

Solva 13:55 09 Mar 07

Thanks Vinny T very useful

skidzy 14:30 09 Mar 07

Lots of options out there,like click here
click here
click here

However i can recommend the Dell Inspiron 6400 dual-core click here
Ive had this model for nearly a year now and its excellent all round.

You really need to tell us your budget,and we may be able to find something.Just remember...cheapest is not always the best.

Little pointer for you,if you decide Dell,do your homework first...play around on there site and build a system to the spec you want (customise) then ring the sales team,you can haggle a little bit.
I did exactly this and for the same money as the list price ...i got more ram/bigger hdd/windows disc/driver and utilites disc's and a few more bits and bobs.

It pays to do the homework (as my old teacher said once upon a time) Lol..... :-)))

jz 11:20 10 Mar 07

Interesting comment by skidzy about haggling with Dell.

Can you haggle away Microsoft Works for a reduced price? This is something that they seem to put on all their PCs, but something that I would never use. I've often wondered why they don't make it an option to not have any "office" software.

vinnyT 11:52 10 Mar 07

"I've often wondered why they don't make it an option to not have any "office" software." I can agree with that, but these companies often get works et al, at very good discounts and many people see the inclusion of works as a good deal.

With the trial software, office 30 days, antivirus 90 days, etc the pc Co. (say dell) is given a fee to include this on their pc/lt, and so they can reduce the price of the hardware they are selling (in theory, though looking at the prices, it does seem to work).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5