Purchasing a Home PC for the family

woody29 13:17 07 Dec 09

Hi, please help I'm going crazy with all the options that are available. Basically, our old pc has died a death and I want to get value for money as well as most suited for the job. I wish to purchase a home pc which would be used for school homework (Microsoft software inc. word, excel etc), downloading pictures from camera, internet use (shopping/browsing/social sites etc) and most importantly it will be used by my son for his online game sites (Warhammer, AdventureQuest etc). Please can someone give me advise as to what system requirements I will need, the more detail the better as I'm clueless. Also any suggestions as to where the best places to buy and are computers really cheaper in the January sales?
All replies will be very much welcomed and appreciated.
Woody29

Clapton is God 13:27 07 Dec 09

Presumably a good starting point will be the spec of the PC that's just died amd work from that.

Also - your budget?

User-1229748 13:50 07 Dec 09

playing the games you mention won't be a problem it's whether he plays the new games that will need to be catered for.that's why the budget is so important.a pc that can play the latest games even at lower settings will be good for the rest of the things you mention.

Jollyjohn 15:26 07 Dec 09

Hi

I would ensure the PC has a separate graphics card as opposed to using on board graphics. On board graphics will use part of the installed RAM.

Before opting for Windows7 - try and ensure your existing printer, scanner etc will work with 7.

Once you have your new PC consider repairing your old one for use as a general web surfing , e-mail computer.

woody29 15:29 07 Dec 09

Budget probably mid way around the £500 mark. When I get home I will post the spec of my old one - but it was always quite slow. My son plays the new WarHammer game that you had to buy and then play membership for I will also look later to find exact requirements if that helps, but he is always swapping to new games. Thanks

woody29 19:00 07 Dec 09

Old pc is Compaq SR2029 - other than this I don't know as can't access the computer at all (on a re-boot loop and when I insert the XP disc it runs then comes up with a message that a problem has been detected and windows has been shutd down to prevent damage....check virus & remove newly installed hard drives. Run CHKDSK /F and restart - chance would be a fine thing - just keeps repeating!)

Thanks for the tip regarding checking the printer is compatible with windows 7 - sorry to be such a novice but how would I do this (I would always ask the supplier but then it's trusting them) is there any other way. Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

mrwoowoo 17:23 08 Dec 09

Go here and change software to hardware in the dropdown menu. Hopefully yours will be listed.
click here
Something here as well.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…