Purchase advice for new hard drive needed

pixeltash 15:47 20 Jan 04

I'm lost in a huge mess of figures and techy terms that I havn't come across before... please help!

I'm looking to buy a second hard drive for my P4 win XP system. My current 40 GB hard drive is full.

I'm looking to spend at the most £100 but there seems to be such a huge range of choice in that price range.

I really am lost as how to make a desision on this important purchase and not be left holding a lemon in a years time... My current hard drive is a maxor, but I've read mixed reviews of them so really don't know which way to turn or where to go to find out what I need to know in simple english!

Can anyone help???

Pixeltash

stlucia 15:56 20 Jan 04

Difficult one that! Everyone who responds will have their own favourites. So far I've got two Western Digitals, an 80Gb and a 120Gb, and no problems.

I suggest as long as you stick with a "known" name, and then check the internet for what the price should be, you won't go wrong.

trowel 16:00 20 Jan 04

personaly i would go for a maxtor diamond max 8 or 9 with 8mb of onboard cache running at ata 133, or find out what ata speed your existing drive is and go for that speed cos if you connect it to the same ide cable it will have the same transfer rate as your old one (basically it's transfer rate will be the same as your slowest drive on the cable) hope this helps
ps do not go for a fujitsu drive as these have failure issues, ask the engineers at evesham.com they will tell you.....

DieSse 16:25 20 Jan 04

Seagate, MaxStor, Western Digital are all good names - get any one of them.

Get a 7200rpm drive, of 80 or 120Gb capacity - don't worry too much about the on-drive cahe - it'll probably be 2 or 8Mb - 8 is better, but only marginally.

Don't wory at all about whether it's ATA100 or ATA133 - they don't work at that rate sustained anyway, so it makes litttle difference in practice - and in any case your motherboard may only run at ATA100.

Don't get a SATA drive - your motherboard probably doesn't support SATA, and anyway there's little or no advantage.

Get one from somewhere you'll get good support in case of a problem.

Don't agonise over it - the differences are all small anyway.

If you want a personal recommendation, I use Seagate Barracuda drives, and have very few problems - but I don't think they're particularly better than the other main makes

DieSse 16:27 20 Jan 04

Forget about getting one to match your old drive - all modern systems allow each drive to work at their own specification - you do not get one "slowing down" the other - it's an "old wives tale".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…