Puchase XP 'Upgrade' from ME Recovery CD

lauby 14:31 08 Apr 03

Can anyone please tell me if I purchase Windows XP Ugrade will it accept a DAN (Millenium edition) Recovery CD as verification for the upgrade. The hard drive was reformatted and the recovery CD no longer works.

recap 15:50 08 Apr 03

If the revocery CD does not work lauby then I doubt very much if it will accept it.

Personally I would go out and buy the full version of XP and not just an upgrade, less problems.

lauby 16:05 08 Apr 03

recap, thanks for the reply - ME did load after booting from the CD. However, on restart it just loops round saying boot from CD and goes no further. I wondered if the upgrade would recognise the disk as a windows operating system. I realise a new OS is probably required but Upgrade is half the price! any feedback would be much appreciated.

ardvarc 17:49 08 Apr 03

Have bought 2 and it doesn't ask for Windows CD. No problems at all on installation and both have been running sweet for several months with NO BSOD's. I also have the non OEM upgrade versions with free SP1 disks from Micro$oft and you can't tell the difference.

click here

You can upgrade if you aleady have an OS installed but if no OS is installed, after a reformat for example, then XP will ask for a Windows CD and a recovery disc will not suffice.

Installer. 19:20 08 Apr 03

I have a fujitsu Siemens windows ME recovery disc which is tied to the bios/motherboard of my bought pc. The only thing that is left from this pc is the power supply, I have installed xp home (upgrade) after a format, and the recovery disc was excepted fine by xp.

interzone55 20:49 08 Apr 03

The Windows XP upgrade CDs are only valid for upgrades from FULL versions of Windows 98se, ME and 2000. They are not to be used to upgrade from OEM versions. If you try to upgrade from an OEM version it may not work.

My advice would be to find someone who has a Windows 98se or ME disk, reformat your drive, install XP & when it asks for the old disk, pop your mates disk in.

lauby 09:09 09 Apr 03

Thanks everyone for your help. Will buy the upgrade and follow your advice. Lauby.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…