Publisher refuses to open any of my files

Annna 14:50 30 Oct 05

I get an error message that some (unspecified) virus program will not let me open any of my Publisher files. I use Windows XP SP2 (with all the latest updates installed), MS Office Pro 2003, ZoneAlarm Pro, Norton Antivirus, Lavasoft Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

I had been using Publisher with no problem last summer to print off signs for our driveway. Now, if I open Publisher and create a new sign, then try to print it off, the file remains in the printing queue indefinitely until I delete it. My printer is an Epson CX6600. All the software and hardware were purchased in August 2004.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled Publisher 2003. I have looked through all the programs listed in ZoneAlarm Pro. But nothing I do seems to work.

Annna

pj123 15:41 30 Oct 05

Would you like to email me one of your Pub files (if it is not sensitive) and I will try it on my printer, Epson R200.

Kenneth-266656 15:43 30 Oct 05

Have you opened the AV console and looked to see what the virus (if any) is? You should be able to remove or quarantine it. You should also run a full scan on Adaware and see what it brings up. Does your printer work for other applications?

Annna 11:53 01 Nov 05

I have printed off the files successfully at work, and they do not have any viruses. So I think there is something wrong with Publisher itself, not my *.pub files. And my virus program does not report any viruses. It is Publisher 2003 which gives me the error message about viruses.

Another symptom, which may help: if I open Publisher 2003 and create a new .pub file, and then send it to the printer, nothing happens. It ends up in the print queue and never gets printed. I must delete it from the print queue in order to print any other documents.

Annna

Taff™ 12:18 01 Nov 05

Were the files created in Publisher 2003? There is a backward compatibility problem I think.

Annna 14:56 03 Nov 05

Taff, yes, some of the files were created in Publisher 2003. So with those, there should be no compatibility problems.

Annna

Annna 15:03 03 Nov 05

If I try to create a new Publsher 2003 publication, then try to print it off, the print queue freezes and the document is never printed. I have to go into the print queue and delete it in order to print from any other program (like Outlook or Word).

Annna

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now