Pub File Viewer

chocolatejo987 15:29 05 Apr 05

I am in desperate search of a way I can view *pub files. I can't seem to locate a viewer.
Its so frustrating, so many people send me these, and I just can't open them with anything.

Technotiger 15:41 05 Apr 05

The problem mentioned below was the same as yours -

Sorted the problem.
I found a brandnew MS Publisher 2000 Upgrade on Ebay UK for £15.-

There are still a few more if anyone is interested.
click here
For the upgrade to work, you don't need a previous version AFAIK, having any product from Office 97/2000 or newer will do.

Cheers.

chocolatejo987 15:44 05 Apr 05

I don't have Office, so it doesn't seem that it would work. i can't believe I would have to pay for it. Does anyone know why you can get free viewers for everything else (powerpoint, excel etc) but not this?

Fingees 16:03 05 Apr 05

Go to click here

It looks to me that it may help

all the best
Fingees

chocolatejo987 16:10 05 Apr 05

Thanks for that, but not sure its the right thing. I don't have corrupt files, just files that are in a format I can't read.

pj123 16:27 05 Apr 05

Unfortunately, Publisher files (.pub) can only be read in MS Publisher. That's the way Microsoft have set it up.

The only way I have been able to see pub files in other programmes (psp, irfanview etc.) is open the file in publisher and Select All, Copy and Paste into the other programme, but it cannot be edited in anything other than MS Publisher.

pj123 16:30 05 Apr 05

It seems strange to me that any other MS programmes (word, excel, access etc) can be saved as lots of different formats but not MS Publisher.

chocolatejo987 16:30 05 Apr 05

Thanks Pj123, thats a shame. I don't have publisher, so it looks like I just won't be able to read this documents.
I hate microsoft sometimes! I just don't get why they dont give a viewer. i have viewers for excel and powerpoint (as I don't have these programmes), which you download from microsoft's website.

pj123 16:34 05 Apr 05

If you are not prepared to pay for MS Publisher then the other alternative is to get the "so many people" who send these files to you to send them in a different format.

Stuartli 16:34 05 Apr 05

From Publisher 2000 (IIRC) you can't read earlier .pub files as I've found out to my cost in the past.

chocolatejo987 16:38 05 Apr 05

Thanks Pj123 (again)....unfortunately it's not really possible to ask for them in a different format. I am a teacher and its a forum that we use to share resources. A lot of the resources that are posted are PUB files.
I'll just have to do it at school i suppose.
It's not that I'm unwilling to pay for publisher as such, just that it doesn't seem fair that after purchasing a windows product (I have Works...oh how I wish i didn't!) that microsoft try and force us to buy newer products by making our current products somewhat useless.

Sorry did my little rant make sense?! It just makes me mad.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017