babybell 23:23 07 Dec 04

My girlfriends pc will no longer connect to broadband, its all connected and i have reinstalled the bt modem software but it says the modem is returning a "null" value when i try the connecting test. I also noticed that in the task manager a ptsnoop is running, sounds like something strange. I tried installing norton anti virus to check it and it says its installed fine but when i restart it comes up an error about norton and says it has to be reinstalled, then a little red box appears and then it wont run windows, any ideas?

Carpigiani 23:37 07 Dec 04

ptsnoop.exe can be 1 of 2 things
1) It was used by some older dial up modems to interface with your computer. And can be removed if you are on Broadband.

2) It could be a trojan & Anti-Virus software will not necessarily detect it.

Have you tried running Spybot or Adaware.

babybell 23:39 07 Dec 04

She does have adaware but i havent tried running it since all the problems began. Will try that.

rawprawn 08:25 08 Dec 04

click here Download and run this program in safe mode (tap F8 on boot) Also turn System Restore off in XP before doing it. Don't forget to turn it back on when you have finished

rawprawn 08:44 08 Dec 04

click here The above will check to see if it's OK but click here it may be legitimate.

smokingbeagle 08:55 08 Dec 04

Carpigiani was correct the first time. ptsnoop was used by the dial-up modems using the PCTel chipset.

babybell 18:28 12 Dec 04

I ran escan like suggested above and it said that 11 files were infected with trojans and i had to pay to upgrade to the full package then delete them. Instead i ran a2 and it didnt even find any viruses. Feeling slightly confused i checked manually for these infected files in c:/windows/system and they dont even exist!

rawprawn 18:43 12 Dec 04

I don't think EScan is a con, I'm sorry it asked you to upgrade to delete the files it found, it has always managed to delete mine as is. However I would be pleased if you would download and run Spy Sweeper and see what it finds. This program is a full program on a 30 day free trial at click here. Please let us know the result as I have had great faith in EScan, and if the standard is slipping it is well worth knowing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…