PSUs The box says I need a 450w, but - -

Ancient Learner 20:31 30 Apr 07

Trying to update my PC.
A shiny new Graphics board, but until it arrived, I never thought about the PSU.

As I say the box says I need a 450 watt. The card has 2 connections to the power it seems!
My PC has a 360watt PSU.
Can anyone say what will happen if I don't spend £40+ on another PSU, and try it out with the present PSU.

skidzy 20:47 30 Apr 07

Blown Mobo/blown graphics card and possibly the psu all are a possibility.PSU from Ebuyer click here

Ancient Learner 21:29 30 Apr 07

Thanks.
I've been looking at reviews, and it seems that as always you get what you pay for.
However, I am a bit woried that I could end up with a PSU that is not suitable,

My new Graphics card is a Saphire X1950 Pro AGP.
I have 2GB of Memory.
Also 2 SATA hard drives and 2 CD/ DVD drives.
Looking at the specs is really clear to me.
I am fancying the Coolermaster IGreen 500W PSU - 85% Efficiency ATX12V v2.2 120mm Fan, but would it be OK for my use.

Any comments would be gratefully received

Technotiger 21:31 30 Apr 07

Hi, I would suggest nothing less than 500W PSU.

Cheers.

skidzy 21:31 30 Apr 07

Definately go for a branded and heavy psu,dont go cheap as per my post earlier.I didnt realise you had so much running.

Ancient Learner 21:37 30 Apr 07

Thank you, what I thought.
I just wish I had not left out 'not'.
What I should have said was 'Looking at the specs it is not really clear to me.'
What do you think?

skidzy 21:43 30 Apr 07

Just an idea click here but really need to know your budget.

Ancient Learner 21:56 30 Apr 07

Thanks. A bit pricey perhaps! But it does seem to have all the right connections, which is not at all clear on the 500w one.
There is this one click here, not a 'Green job', but it seems to have the same connectors as the Ebuyer special, and at a much lower price, however probably noisy.

woodchip 21:56 30 Apr 07

"""""Thanks.
I've been looking at reviews, and it seems that as always you get what you pay for.
However, I am a bit woried that I could end up with a PSU that is not suitable""""" it will cost far more if it blows up

skidzy 22:04 30 Apr 07

I think your link will do the job fine,however for the sake of £30 extra...i know what i would go for !

Ancient Learner 22:14 30 Apr 07

Thank you very much.
I think that you may well be correct. You can't take it with you, can you!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced