PSU ratings

Diodorus Siculus 14:37 09 Nov 05

A quickie, I hope...

I am thinking of ordering a barebones system: click here

I am just concerned about the 300W PSU. When I add a couple of hard drives, 2 optical drives and a sound card (maybe) will 300W suffice?

Thanks for any thoughts, Dio.

SANTOS7 14:41 09 Nov 05

click here
this will help,good luck...

Diodorus Siculus 14:46 09 Nov 05

SANTOS7 - thanks for that one.

I am get too close to 300W - pretty much as I expected. Next choice is for a mobo bundle: click here along with a case click here and a 350W PSU.

Wasn't keen on putting it together but I have to learn sometime...

Diodorus Siculus 14:48 09 Nov 05

click here for the PSU.

Any thoughts on the above package?

SANTOS7 14:52 09 Nov 05

I would be tempted to go to 450+ leaving enough in reserve and knowing that it will meet all your requirements with minimum amount of strain on the PSU itself...

SANTOS7 14:58 09 Nov 05

Me personally, Case looks nice and the idea of Mobo bundles is a great idea and a very inexpensive way of building your system.

interzone55 15:06 09 Nov 05

You'll find that a good quality 300w PSU (CoolerMaster for example) will provide better, more consistant power than a cheaper 450w PSU.

I have a CoolerMaster 300w PSU that is powering a 3Ghz Athlon, 1.25Gb of DDR ram across 3 DIMMS, a Creative soundcard, 1 LG DVD-Ram drive, an MSI DVD/CDRW combo, 160Gb Hitachi HDD, 80Gb Maxtor HDD and a Sapphire 256Gb Radeon 9550 VGA card with no apparent problems.

Diodorus Siculus 15:15 09 Nov 05

I haave gone with a Hiper 350W PSU - the same as the one I have in my current machine - which runs pretty quietly.

Ordered it all from Novatech even though I could get a few cheapers bits and pieces elsewhere. Past experience of Novatech customer care and support has been excellent so I don't mind spending the extra few pounds.

Added to the above a WD 160GB hard drive and an FX5200 graphics card (I'm not into games!) as well as 1Gb RAM.

All told coming in at a little over £400 - I have a couple of spare optical drives which will go into it and I think it is a pretty good deal.

My friend should be happy - I've been promising for a while!

Thanks for the advice, Dio.

Diodorus Siculus 15:17 09 Nov 05

I'll leave this unticked till things come through next week sometime...

Diodorus Siculus 16:55 14 Nov 05

Rang today to check what was happening - told that the processor was out of stock and would be available in one to two weeks.

Cancelled and went searching again; this time came up with a PCI-Express bundle, which I was not so keen on. Still, was promised that everything would be dispatched today and delivered tomorrow.

Just waiting and seeing...

click here this bundle with a 425W PSU and ThermalTake Case. 1GB RAM and a 160GB hdd as well as a basic PCI-E graphics card should keep me busy tomorrow night!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:05 14 Nov 05

Good Luck,

Any prblems you Know where to ask ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…