PSU - Purchase tips

Completealias 13:21 18 Jul 05

Hi there,

I have a emachines 820 that i brought and am in the process of upgrading bits and pieces. One namely being the addition of an audigy 4 with a breakout box and a dvd writer.

The audigy 4 needs a power supply for the breakout box and I was thinking that the PSU in my case probably wouldn't be that of the greatest quality so was looking at investing in a new one.

So what should I look out for what manufacturers? etc

Stuartli 13:28 18 Jul 05
  keef66 13:33 18 Jul 05

I just got an Antec 380w truepower PSU from ebuyer for £30 inc vat. It's not the latest model, but it weighs about three times as much as the one it's replacing. (Don't laugh; Tom's Hardware Guide concluded that weight was a reasonable indicator of a PSU's quality) Anyway, system voltages are now rock solid, the PSU is as quiet as a mouse, and I have more spare connectors than I know what to do with. It even has connectors to control (rather than just power)the case fans if I ever install any.

Well happy

Completealias 14:36 18 Jul 05

Is this the model here click here

Looks good for the price, I will be powering off it a P4 2.6, 512pc2700 ram, 80gig hd, dvd-rom, dvd-rewriter, memory card reader + the addition of a audigy 4 when it arrives. So should be ok?

Or any thoughts on this case and PSU also an antec one click here
do like the idea of a new case, or would it be better to buy the case and PSU seperate?

keef66 13:13 19 Jul 05

Yes, that's the one. For comparison my pc is an Athlon 2100 xp, 512mb pc2700 ram, 2 x optical drives, 2 x HDD's, audigy soundcard (internal), humble mx440 graphics. I'd say it will be fine for your setup.

Only reason for looking for anything more substantial would be if you plan to upgrade to a top-end power-hungry graphics card. Pci-express cards take much more power via the mobo, agp versions require an additional power connector.

Note: it does include a mains power cord, which I wasn't expecting, but mine had a continental plug. Waiting to see if they'll send a UK one instead. Failing that, we'll clearly have to emigrate.

keef66 15:12 19 Jul 05

Comparing the specs I think the Antec True Power PSU's are better than their Smart Power ones (that's what's provided with that case). Dedicated circuitry and voltage feedback for each output. Output voltage regulation +/-3% vs +/-5%. Fan only connectors. Single (silent)120mm fan vs 2 x 80mm ones.
Then again, the case does get good reviews...

Completealias 15:18 19 Jul 05

Ok I'm think that I will go with that the 380watt truepower psu and buy a seperate case to fit everything into.

Thanks for everyones help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…