PSU Problems

Rikku 10:19 10 Apr 04

Hey my old PC had problems turning so i took the plug out took it to a different room plugged it in turned on as soon as it plugged in but the power button still wouldnt turn it on i took it back through it did the same thing there.

But then i flicked a switch at the back which reads 240 and flicked it to 130 the PSU seemed to grind for 2 seconds then made aloud crunch i instantly flicked it back and it no longer works :(

i would like to know could there be damage to any hardware because of this and if not would it be worth changing the PSU?

the pc is an AMD Duron 800 MHz it is a tower case not sure how many watts it was or needs to be but is there a size difference between PSU's?

Gongoozler 10:29 10 Apr 04

Hi Rikku. Whether any of the computer components are damaged will depend on the quality of the power supply. A well specified supply may have output protection whereby if a voltage exceeds a certain level the output is turned off. This is not always included in a design so there can be no certainty either way. A new power supply needn't be expensive. You can get a 400W supply from Ebuyer for only about £10 plus postage.click here. You can, of course spend a lot more, but the £10 job will tell you if your computer is working. I'm using one with my 1.6G Duron system, it's quiet and is working fine.

Gongoozler 10:35 10 Apr 04

Hi again Rikku. I should have answered the rest of your question. With an 800M Duron you can use a PSU of 250W or above. If you are going to get a cheap PSU, I would recommend getting one well above the minimum, it will have more efficient cooling and so be more reliable than getting one just about powerful enough. I don't think you'll find a supply below 300W anyway. All ATX supplies should fit an ATX case. If your computer switches itself off after shutdown, then yours is an ATX supply.

Rikku 02:21 11 Apr 04

ok thanks i will buy one and let yall know i hope its fine ...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…