Is this a PSU Problem?

Strangely Brown 08:53 27 Feb 04

I have recently built a PC for the first time using a JNC case with 300w PSU supplied. The rough config is as follows:-

Asus P48X-X motherboard
Celeron 2.0Ghz CPU
DVD Rom Drive
80Gb 7200rpm HDD
1 x Floppy drive
1 x case fan
GeForce 4200Ti Graphics Card
Soundblaster 5.1 Sound Card
Internal 56Kb Modem

All boots up nice and fine etc.

However, when I attach a printer via a USB port the system manages to get beyond the POST screens and then appears to stop before booting into Windows XP. If I disconnect the printer and restart the machine then all is OK.

Is this likely to be a PSU overexertion problem or could it be something else.

I'm planning to replace the CPU (P$ 2.8Ghz) and Graphics card (GeforceFX 5700) next week so it's important to me to know if I should also buy a new PSU and what the minimum should be that I go for.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Brian-318590 09:01 27 Feb 04

click here try this link

expertec 09:05 27 Feb 04

I wouldn't like even if your PSU isn't a problem now, I think you'd need a better one when you upgrade

Strangely Brown 09:08 27 Feb 04

Slugo,

Tried that one and it comes back with a rating of 270watts. Is that too close for comfort if you then start attaching printers etc.

The PSU that came with that doesnt really produce 300w when under strain.

They are normally very poor performer's that come with the cases. My advice is to get something along the lines of an ernemax PSU which i have used for over a year with no problems that are brilliant quality, and this PSU can take anything i throw at it, XP2600, 512mb 333, CD-RW/DVD GF4 Ti4400, SB Live 5.1, 3 case fan's, some light's, digi-doc, joystick, game pad, along with a couple of other bit's.

But for PSU i would always look for quality rather than price... Ernemax can be got for around £35 from scan.co.uk

Strangely Brown 20:23 27 Feb 04

A new QTEC 550w PSU has been ordered from eBuyer (83 reviews and 4.5 stars!)

Hopefully this will solve all my problems!

Cheers guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…