PSU Power - how much do I REALLY need?

Colspeed 13:36 29 Aug 09

I'm looking to upgrade my rig with a new Intel quad 9550 CPU and NVidia GTX 285. Possibly adding a Blu-ray writer.

Currently running Intel duo 6600 and NVidia 8800GTX with 2 HDD, a DVD writer, 4xDDR2 sticks on a Gigabyte 965P-DS4 mobo all powered by Seasonic 600w PSU.

I'm thinking the new setup won't drain juice enough to justify the motor which is very solid at the moment. Have looked at a couple of sites with wattage calculators and still feel confident.

But, so much insistence that surplus power is needed I'd appreciate an experienced view. Anybody care to comment?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:42 29 Aug 09

Lower watts from a "good" PSU is better than
higher watts from a "poor" PSU

Quality is better than quantity provided you have enough to start with.

:0)

sonyboy 15:07 29 Aug 09

Fruit Bat is "spot on"...the Wattage factor is a common scenario whereby a lot of buyers go for "High wattage" ratings thinking they are getting the best Power options!
On a poorly designed generic unit that has high wattage values...the voltage stability and distribution is very often "under par" .
The PSU is one of the most overlooked items by lots of buyers and should not be skimped on..a bit of extra cash spent on a reliable unit is a much better option ...Antec...Enermax..Thermaltake are good examples...click here

GaT7 15:28 29 Aug 09

Seasonic make excellent PSUs & the present 600W one will be enough for the new setup.

However, if you're thinking of running 2x graphics cards in the future (& doing a bit of CPU overclocking), one with 4x dedicated PCI-E connectors will be ideal.

Apart from Seasonic, the other quality brands include Antec, Enermax, Corsair, Be Quiet, Silverstone, Tagan, Etasis, OCZ / PC Power & Cooling, Zalman, Coolermaster, Akasa, Xigmatek, Hiper, FSP, Thermaltake, Gigabyte, Silver Power, etc - may have missed a few. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…