PSU keeps blowing - not wanting to try a 3rd PSU

Giggle n' Bits 00:20 19 Oct 04

for some reason my daughters pc now 2 years old keeps blowing the power supply. original was a 250Watt so tried a 350Watt and that went straight away.

Ok, guess a short or something but where would I start looking.

there is a what I think called a host powered Scanner which takes the power from the USB Port, onboard VGA, Intel Celeron, CNR or AMR small modem thing, combi DVD/CDR & XP

Only thing I have to try is pulling the modem but anything else I could try when I visit again later Tuesday night.

Looking back on problems here shows Power supplies to be very complicated and voltages and wattages then makes etc complicate things more.

was going to scrap and buy her a new one but if its something that could be fixed would be good.

johnnyrocker 00:27 19 Oct 04

would suggest taking all connections off pc and see if it will run, if still a prob must be on the main board (exactly what damage occurs to psu to make it unusable?)

johnny.

Giggle n' Bits 00:45 19 Oct 04

there is also a connector which is a square 4 pin as well as the oblong shape do both of these need to be fitted ? and so leave all other things of drives and modem out.

Derek 06:59 19 Oct 04

Having had two PSU's fail the 'short' is obviously in the motherboard.
I would be inclined to dump the motherboard and fit another one since PSU's can be more expensive than some MB's.
You say that the MB is two years old, it would be fair to say that the MB is much older than that !

You may find that today's cheaper MB's
such "Rock", manufactured by ASUS could have a higher specification than the one you have fitted and , this could be cheaper than another PSU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…