PSU issue? System components not recognised

Funktion 23:55 07 May 08

I have recently started having issues with a few of my computer components. The machine I am having problems with is a new build of mine made from a load of cobbled together bits of older PCs to make a respectable rig.

The first thing I noticed, approximately a week after completing the build, was that the USB ports located on the motherboard (including the links to the front panel USB ports) ceased to function correctly. XP popped up a ‘Device Not Recognised’ bubble whenever memory sticks, printers, cameras etc were attached. I managed to work around this using a previous fix from this forum involving removing the power cable from the wall and depressing the power on button for 30 seconds or so to discharge the motherboard capacitors (such as can be found in thread ID 297813). At first I thought this advice was some sort of myth, but it worked!

Anyway, about a month after I found this workaround for the USB ports I started having a few more issues. The PSU exploded (literally with a puff of smoke!) so I swapped it out for another one, still with plenty of wattage. In addition to the USB ports still jamming up every now and then I am now getting the odd system crash with vertical artefacts appearing over both of my screens. I thought this may be a graphics card issue since I have had this happen to me before when a fan fell off an old card and it began to overheat, but it has only happened a handful of times over a month or so under unrelated circumstances.

In addition, my motherboard now fails to detect my IDE hard disk every so often upon boot. The SATA drive with XP on is still recognised so the system boots, but since most of my files are stored on the IDE drive I need to power down the system and discharge the capacitors as mentioned above.

In all cases, unplugging the PC and holding the power button in fixes any and all problems and other than that the machine is running perfectly. Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be? I’m thinking it might be a dirty PSU (not physically, but electrically!) but don’t have the equipment or spare PSU powerful enough to check this theory.

It's not crippling me, but it's prety damn annoying!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017