psu intallation in xp and booting problems

athlios 01:28 14 Jul 04

Hello,
i just bought a new power supply (thermaltake, butterfly 450W) and install it in my pc. The pc worked fine in the beginning but after rebooting i could only see the black screen with the options to load the windows normally, last good configurations, safe mode...etc.

However, none of the options was effective for my pc to boot. The only thing that i could see was a black screen....After some attempts i checked the cables inside the case and i noticed that when i switch it off and plug the floppy's data cable out and then plug it in again, the pc boots normally when i select the option of normal booting...!!!!!

The only possible explanation that i think is the protection of winXP for new hardware installation....but even a power supply.....Do i need to format again? Is there any other way that i can avoid that problem?
(By the way, my floppy drive is not working for more than a year now but it didnt cause me any booting problems in the past.)

Thank you in advance
Giannis

Djohn 01:59 14 Jul 04

Does the light on the floppy drive stay on all the time during the boot-up? If so then the ribbon cable is the wrong way round. You should see the cable divides at the end, one strip wider than the other, the wider side plugs in nearest to you as you look at the back of the drive.

SimianBenzoate 03:13 14 Jul 04

if your floppy doesnt work anyway i would suggest you remove it...or at least diconnect it both from the power supply and the motherboard...my pc refused to boot cos it was complainig the floppy controller was bust and it said to press f1 but that didnt do anything :(

just go into the bios and disable the floppy contoller too

this way you also will save a bit of power and do your bit for the environment ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…