PSU fan speed

mrsureshot 15:17 21 Mar 09

Hi all,

I have just upgraded my system with a new PSU (Enermax Modu82 525W) and installed a EVGA GTX260 (55nm) SC card. System specs are; C2D E6750, 2 HDD, CD-RW, DVD-RW and 2 Gb of ballistix DDR2 memory on a Asus P5KC P35 mobo with an old Audigy 2 s/card.

Everything was fine on a number of restarts during driver installation but then on a 4th restart the system hung at boot up with the message "Overclock failed, press F1 to enter setup or F2 to return to defaults. I have had the C2D overclocked for about a year to 3.2GHz with no issue on my previous Enermax 485W Noistaker PSU.

The only clue in the Bios was the fan speed showing up in red text as 460rpm, a mere 10 rpm above its minimum! Asus PC probe also rings alarm bells for the same thing. So, question is, should the PSU fan really be that low? (fairly low ambient temp so maybe its underloaded.)

One other thing, my gfx card shows half the memory clock is should do. I think this is down to my previous choice of a P35 mobo and it only having PCI-e x16 1.1 support. Am I right in this assumption? May need to start shopping again if it is, quite annoyed with myself for missing that.

Hope someone out there can offer advice.

Cheers

I am Spartacus 15:35 21 Mar 09

There may be an option in the Hardware Monitor section of the BIOS to change the fan setting to 'Ignored'. Also if you've connected a sensor from the PSU to the motherboard you could just unplug it.

I only get that problem though if my CPU fan is running under around 400rpm.

A single Graphics card should still run at 16x on a P35 motherboard.

citadel 18:16 21 Mar 09

never had a problem with a psu fan running slow only cpu fan when I slowed it to much with software. are you sure its not the cpu fan.

mrsureshot 18:42 21 Mar 09

Hey guys.

Yup, the cpu fan is being reported by PC Probe as 2630rpm and Coretemp backs this up with an idle temp for both cores of 25C

Definitely being reported at the psu fan in the bios (which I think is where PC Probe gets its info)

This is why I was puzzled too, never came across a warning for a lazy PSU!! :)
I have checked connections and everything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…