PSU Blown !!! Should everything else be OK?

BigAl127 22:08 04 Aug 03

I've just been to look at a friends computer. I can categorically guarantee that the ATX 235Watt Power supply has burnt out (I'm assuming with age & use).

If I purchase & fit a new PSU, should everything then work OK?

Or will it just be fingers crossed, & hope for the best. I don't want to riskconnecting a new PSU for it to blow again.

Any advice welcome please.

Giggle n' Bits 22:18 04 Aug 03

for all computer plugs. Also if any of the devices like host powered USB say scanner or Digital camera may take the power direct from the USB cable if any of these are fitted and a over load may have been the reason for it to go in ther first place.

It is possible that HDD, M/board, Memory or Modem may have gone but only on rare occassion's this can happen.

Most important is make sure your friend gets all his plugs to go into one of them surge protectors.

Many places even myself sell them from as little as £8 for a decent one which includes £1000 or insurance cover if you reg the protector.

Some Places to aquire a surge protector are:-
Argos, B & Q, or Me !

BigAl127 22:21 04 Aug 03

I've already advised them to get surge protection, as I certainly wouldn't be without mine. Not that i've ever had problems, i'm just not prepared to take the risk.

hillybilly 22:23 04 Aug 03

Everything will probably be OK, but it wouldn't hurt to start it bit at a time. Start with just the motherboard, cpu&fan and the graphics card. If that starts up ok just gradually add all your drives and cards. basically if something else shorted and caused the PSU to blow, then you can bet that the other component is going to be well dead already! Check round your mobo and see if you can see any hotspots.

Giggle n' Bits 22:25 04 Aug 03

Thunder & lightning comes can send a surge into the main power and kill any PC with no Surge protection, even in a power cut or just a late night surge when the power stations flick switches.

that's £8 for saving a computers life and equpment tell them.

BigAl127 23:18 04 Aug 03

I've had a good check around everything else, can't see signs of anything else being affected, so i'm quitely confident things will be fine.

hillybilly 23:48 04 Aug 03

well go for it!

daba 00:00 05 Aug 03

Sorry to say my views are perhaps not as confident as others.

You see it really depends on what caused the Power Supply unit to fail.

Most people seem to think a surge protector is the bees knees, and yes, they are a good idea for protecting your PC from mains borne transients, spikes and general crap.

However this surge protection isn't going to do any good if a component, a solder joint, or a PCB track just gives up. As you say, the PSU was old, tired, and has possibly spent the last few months of it's life working at full (or more than) its rated load.

Being supplied with nice clean juice from a surge protected supply won't help at all if the PSU 'dies'.

So, on to the prognosis. Well really it's impossible to say anything one way or the other, other than the facts, the PSU either died naturally (internal failure), or was pushed over the edge (external influence). And there was no-one there monitoring it, or the mains supply, to see why it croaked.

Now on to the better news, the more modern the PSU, the more likely it has got stuff like "crowbar protection", "electronic fusing", and other such fancy names. All of which help to protect the supplied circuits from over-voltage from the dying PSU

Lets just hope your friends PC's parts survived this cataclysmic event. The only way to find out is, as has been said, suck it and see.

Tog 07:47 05 Aug 03

Sorry to say it but your just as likely to get the right answer from the flip of a coin.

DieSse 09:14 05 Aug 03

I've seen any number of failed PSUs over the years. Most often nothing else has blown - a couple of times nearly everything has blown - there seems to be no in-betweens, which is probably due to what type of failure mode in the PSU.

There is little you can do unlees you try each part in another system to check them out - it's quicker to just try the new PSU and see what happens.

MjM Hellfire 10:14 05 Aug 03

My CPU blew out when my fan decided it did not want to work anymore. The fan was a cheap £6 number, so I learned a valuable lesson...get a good fan.

I went out and got a better one at around £20 for my 2400XP, it's quieter and keeps my CPU nearly 15 degrees cooler than the cheap one.

If you get a modern CPU - AMD/Pentium ect, do not scrimp and buy a cheap cooler, treat the cooler situation as important as the CPU itself, you will not regret buying a good quality fan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…