PSU blown

steven_frost 17:07 26 Sep 04

what damage could have been caused i have got a replacement PSU but the computer is running very slow and crashing badly

johnnyrocker 17:28 26 Sep 04

what os? and what brought about psu failure?

johnny.

steven_frost 17:31 26 Sep 04

windows xp pro and good question just turned it on then bang with a nice puff of smoke

johnnyrocker 17:35 26 Sep 04

what about giving system restore a try in case some files are corrrupt mayba also system file check

johnny.

steven_frost 22:11 26 Sep 04

done that no luck even re-formated still no luck i have just ordered a new motherboard an msi ms-6775 which i dont have a clue on so some help would help will it take my athlon 1800 fsb 133

steven_frost 18:00 27 Sep 04

bump

Dorsai 18:28 27 Sep 04

Dont know if the mobo will take your old cpu. click here for msi home page, unfortunatly i could not get ms-6775 to come up on a search there.

But just be aware, perhaps other parts were also damamged by the PSU when it failed.

Plus, i can't say if you memory/PSU will be sutable for the new Mobo.

Sorry not to be much help. Perhaps you could re-check the part number you posted for the new mobo.

steven_frost 19:30 27 Sep 04

thanks for your advice the psu i have is a 300w one if need be i'll buy some new memory not to much of a headace ok been on msi site this is the mother board i belive i've brought click here so any advice would be good this is some what doing my head in

Dorsai 19:44 27 Sep 04

Your link worked, but trying to get to the 'processor support' or 'manual' links on it have, after 5 mins, failed to load. I don't know why. Perhaps it's such a new mobo, they have not yet got round to building the pages linked to.

Wait till it arrives, and have a gander on the CD it comes with, before using it, and i am hoping that will help.

steven_frost 20:11 27 Sep 04

nice thought but having to use my girlfriends laptop to sort this all out and she getting a little unhappy about me using her laptop all the time but thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…