PSU blown

steven_frost 17:07 26 Sep 04

what damage could have been caused i have got a replacement PSU but the computer is running very slow and crashing badly

johnnyrocker 17:28 26 Sep 04

what os? and what brought about psu failure?

johnny.

steven_frost 17:31 26 Sep 04

windows xp pro and good question just turned it on then bang with a nice puff of smoke

johnnyrocker 17:35 26 Sep 04

what about giving system restore a try in case some files are corrrupt mayba also system file check

johnny.

steven_frost 22:11 26 Sep 04

done that no luck even re-formated still no luck i have just ordered a new motherboard an msi ms-6775 which i dont have a clue on so some help would help will it take my athlon 1800 fsb 133

steven_frost 18:00 27 Sep 04

bump

Dorsai 18:28 27 Sep 04

Dont know if the mobo will take your old cpu. click here for msi home page, unfortunatly i could not get ms-6775 to come up on a search there.

But just be aware, perhaps other parts were also damamged by the PSU when it failed.

Plus, i can't say if you memory/PSU will be sutable for the new Mobo.

Sorry not to be much help. Perhaps you could re-check the part number you posted for the new mobo.

steven_frost 19:30 27 Sep 04

thanks for your advice the psu i have is a 300w one if need be i'll buy some new memory not to much of a headace ok been on msi site this is the mother board i belive i've brought click here so any advice would be good this is some what doing my head in

Dorsai 19:44 27 Sep 04

Your link worked, but trying to get to the 'processor support' or 'manual' links on it have, after 5 mins, failed to load. I don't know why. Perhaps it's such a new mobo, they have not yet got round to building the pages linked to.

Wait till it arrives, and have a gander on the CD it comes with, before using it, and i am hoping that will help.

steven_frost 20:11 27 Sep 04

nice thought but having to use my girlfriends laptop to sort this all out and she getting a little unhappy about me using her laptop all the time but thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…