PSU? Antec v Enermax v cheaper makes

muddle 19:22 30 Apr 03

Anyone have any opinions on PSU's?

I have decided I need a new one as my computer is running a bit too hot for my liking with a single fan PSU. I have a mini tower case so the CPU heatsink literally backs onto the side of the PSU.

I figure a PSU with two fans (one to the side, one to the back) seems a good way to cool things down.

However I am having trouble working out if the Antec True Power 330w is better click here
or if I am better looking for a slightly cheaper higher wattage Enermax. But are they noisier?!

Rayuk 19:25 30 Apr 03

Rather than go for a new psu would it not be cheaper to instal a couple of case fans??Or are you saying the power supply is running hot??

muddle 19:35 30 Apr 03

already added an exhaust and a front fan! but it's still too hot (shows 63 deg in bios, with the side a bit open). It is (I think) not a very well designed case, as the hot CPU heatsink and fan are only about 3mm away from the side of the (fairly hot) PSU.

Obviously I'd love an aluminum cheiftec case...but that would cost £120 plus PSU!! Therefore I was thinking get a good PSU now and then when my boss gives me a pay rise...one day...I can get the cheiftec case to go with it.

mrh 09:39 01 May 03

Had exactly same problem - undersized case - badly designed for my needs - psu a couple off mm away from my 2100 amd cpu fan - running at apprx 65 degreees - purchased new case - antech 1000 - from ebuyer (61.00) psu high above mobo - 2 fans come pre-installed with another 3 optional - without using optional fans - temp dropped 15degrees - will try at some stage - another fan - but running alot cooler already- so wil;; see our it goes

MartinT-B 11:18 01 May 03

PLEASE,

Close the case. They're designed to work more efficiently when they are sealed, except for the designated intakes. Even the cheap ones.

Basically your fan(s) are trying to cool air in the room as well as air in the case.

I second mrh, buy a bigger case. You can get one at a PC fair for about £20-30.00 or from the internet for a similar price.

Also the Enermax PSUs have an intake in the BOTTOM of the PSU, drawing air into the PSU from the case, which is then blown out of the Rear. This is the recommended set-up from AMD.

duplo 13:04 01 May 03

I recon a new case would be your best option... a small case inhibits airflow, and a new case with a decent PSU installed wont cost a whole lot more than a decent PSU on its own!

Paranoid Android 13:12 01 May 03

Agree - 3mm clearance is not enough for a modern CPU fan. I would bet that the heat is not being transferred away properly. Careful choice of new case should also give you an acceptable PSU included. You do not need 2 fans in the PSU as long as it is well designed and certified for P4 and Athlon CPUs.

If you do change the PSU, I prefer Enermax.

Marvin

Pilch.... 14:16 01 May 03

how about fiiting an exhaust to the top of the case, say 80mm fan with grill over the top. That way directly over the CPU draws hot air straight out, and maybe the same at teh bottom to improve air flow.

Done it on an old case of mine, significatly improved the temperature.

Also if you have a case with the grill nuilt into the case chop it away, cuts about 60% of the airflow.

Look at click here and they have some good guides..

Pilch.... 14:16 01 May 03

how about fiiting an exhaust to the top of the case, say 80mm fan with grill over the top. That way directly over the CPU draws hot air straight out, and maybe the same at teh bottom to improve air flow.

Done it on an old case of mine, significatly improved the temperature.

Also if you have a case with the grill nuilt into the case chop it away, cuts about 60% of the airflow.

Look at click here and they have some good guides..

mrh 20:41 01 May 03

still would suggest a case - see above thread - 2 standard fans extract - placed a spare 80mm fan blowing in- still got two optional fan holes not using - temp running a nice 42-45 degees - a lot different to 65degrees originally - with psu so close to cpu fan - i would think a top fan would generally assist but you would stoll have a problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…